Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The Half of Us by Cardeno C

Title: The Half of Us
Author: Cardeno C
My Rating: A

Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m)
Series: Family #4
Main Characters: Jason and Abe
Release Date: October 2014
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Short-tempered, arrogant heart surgeon Jason Garcia grew up wanting a close-knit family, but believes he ruined those dreams when he broke up his marriage. The benefit of divorce is having as much random sex as he wants, and it’s a benefit Jason is exploiting when he meets a sweet, shy man at a bar and convinces him to go home for a no-strings-attached night of fun. 

Eight years living in Las Vegas hasn’t dimmed Abe Green’s optimism, earnestness, or desire to find the one. When a sexy man with lonely eyes propositions him, Abe decides to give himself a birthday present—one night of spontaneous fun with no thoughts of the future. But one night turns into two and then three, and Abe realizes his heart is involved. 

For the first time, Abe feels safe enough with someone he respects and adores to let go of his inhibitions in the bedroom. If Jason can get past his own inhibitions and open his heart and his life to Abe, he might finally find the family he craves.


My Review:
This was such a wonderfully sweet story. Going into it, I wasn't sure because Jason is set up to be kind of a jerk...well, not really a jerk. He just knows that a long-term relationship isn't for him so he's all about finding a hook-up, having sex, and then getting out. He doesn't plan on Abe.

I love that the first thing that draws Jason to Abe in the club is his laugh. That right there set this up to be so much more than just a sexual relationship between them. It just took a while for Jason to face up to the fact too. Jason was married for 10 years...to a woman back before he accepted the fact he was gay. They got married because she was pregnant, but then divorced when Jason couldn't manage to stay faithful. As a result, he knows relationships aren't for him. Despite the fact that he's gay, he truly loves his ex-wife. They are still really good friends. I love their relationship in the book and how she pushes him about Abe. She can see that he needs Abe in his life, even when Jason doesn't see it. But Jason is driven, temperamental, and pretty much a perfectionist. He expects a lot of himself and knows that he can't live up to those expectations when it comes to relationships. His past has proven that. But despite all that, Abe sneaks into his life and his heart. 

Abe...I love him. He's younger and so much more inexperienced, but he learns really quickly that if he wants Jason in his life he needs to "handle" him with kid gloves. I loved that Abe is just as smart as Jason and knows what Jason needs. I also really loved how the author set up Abe's interactions with Jason's kids. It was perfectly executed.

I'll admit that with a series called the "Family" series, I didn't expect this book to be as hot as it was. Wow. I loved the steamy scenes between Jason and Abe. This book was incredibly sexy even though it was all about a family dynamic and making it work in the parameters of this relationship. I loved that about it. 

In fact, I really did just love everything about it. The character dynamics were so good and rich with detail. I loved all the people in this book and the way they enhanced the story. Jason's family is incredible...and rich in their flaws, but that makes the story even that much better. 

I know...I know...I'm one of the only m/m readers that is just now coming into this series. I see the error of my ways. I will be going back and reading the 3 books before this one, although this one completely and totally works as a stand-alone. 


No comments: