Thursday, January 1, 2015

Come To Me Quietly by A.L. Jackson (audiobook review)


Title: Come To Me Quietly
Author: A.L. Jackson
My Rating: B- overall
Narrator: Todd Haberkorn and Tanya Eby


Genre: New Adult
Series: Closer to You #1
Main Characters: Aleena and Jared
Release Date: January 2014
Publisher: Tanto
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Aleena Moore is content with her life. She has goals and dreams and an easy smile. She also has a secret she holds locked inside.

Jared Holt believes he doesn’t deserve to love or be loved. He destroys everything he touches. Haunted by the mistake that shattered his life, he’s fled from the memory of that pain.

Jared doesn’t know why he’s compelled to return, but finds himself drawn back to the place where it all began. The exact place where it ended. When he runs into his childhood best friend, Aleena’s older brother Christopher, he agrees to share Christopher and Aleena’s apartment while he looks for a place of his own.

Aleena is no longer the little girl Jared remembers from his past and evokes feelings in him he never wanted to feel again. Terrified of destroying her, he fights to keep her away. But her touch is something he can’t resist—the touch that sealed his fate.

Their pasts are intertwined and their futures uncertain. The only truths they know are the secrets they whisper in the night.




My Review:

Overall.... 3.25
Performance... 4.0

Story.... 3.0

I'm a girl who loves angst in my stories, but something about this one was just too over-the-top emotionally for me. I spent a lot of the story rolling my eyes at the characters...and I'll be honest, I'm not sure that would have been the case if I hadn't been listening to it in audio. I don't think it would have bothered me near as much if I had just been reading the book...although I don't think that would have solved my issue completely. This was my first audiobook in the New Adult genre and I just think that's not ideal for me. 

I do like the way this book was done with two narrators though. The book alternates the first person pov chapters between Jared and Aleena and there was both a male and female narrators for those chapters. I liked that and truly enjoyed both narrators. They stayed on character and had great distinctive voices for all the various characters in the story. 

Then there was the romance. Like I said, it was a bit over the top for me, but that's the way that the NA genre is written it seems. The story did work for me with the characters backgrounds and it definitely had credible conflict. I enjoyed the way the author wrote the flashbacks and intertwined them throughout.

This definitely wasn't my favorite book ever, but the book is written in the normal way for the new adult genre. I think if you generally enjoy that genre, you will like this one too. My heart did break for Jared and his self-loathing at something that was simply a mistake. I had issues with how other's dealt with him when it all happened, because hands down, they were wrong and did him wrong as a result and really ruined a kid's life. He didn't deserve that. 

I also really enjoyed the moments with Ally drawing. I liked that she saw Jared behind all the rough and sometimes harsh demeanor. 

Not my favorite book, but it wasn't bad. Lesson learned...listening to an audiobook in the NA genre is not for me. 

No comments: