Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Beyond Limits by Laura Griffin

Title: Beyond Limits
Author: Laura Griffin
My Rating: A


Genre: Romantic Suspense
Series: Tracers #8
Main Characters: Elizabeth and Derek
Release Date: January 2015
Publisher: Pocket
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
An FBI agent and a Navy SEAL race against time in New York Times bestselling author Laura Griffin’s newest Tracers novel. “Griffin delivers the goods!” (Publishers Weekly)

FBI agent Elizabeth LeBlanc is still caught in the aftermath of her last big case when she runs into the one man from her past who is sure to rock her equilibrium even more. Navy SEAL Derek Vaughn is back home from a harrowing rescue mission in which he found evidence of a secret terror cell on US soil. Elizabeth knows he’ll do anything to unravel the plot—including seducing her for information. And despite the risks involved, she’s tempted to let him. Together with the forensics experts at the Delphi Center, Derek and Elizabeth are closing in on the truth, but it may not be fast enough to avert a devastating attack…

Following in the bestselling tradition of the Tracers series, including ExposedScorched, and TwistedBeyond Limits pulls out all the stops with Griffin’s most gripping thriller yet.


My Review:
This was the first book I've read from Laura Griffin (I know, I know...I should lose my romantic suspense reader card, but I've seen the error of my ways, I promise) and I really like it. I see why her books always hit the bestseller lists. This book was really incredibly good. 

The heroine, Elizabeth, is an FBI agent who had an assignment go wrong recently and is having a hard time getting back on task in the office. Her jerk of a boss certainly isn't helping things, so it's a huge relief when one of the higher up's reaches out to her to pull her into a special mission to break up a terrorist threat in Houston.

Derek is a SEAL and it was a raid done by his team that led to the discovery of this terrorist cell. He's from Houston and one of his SEAL teammates died recovering the information...so this is personal to him. And that's before he realizes that Elizabeth is on the FBI team. They have a history. It's a brief one, but that connection has stayed with both of them mentally over the last year, so it's a really strong one. 

I loved how the suspense in this played out. Derek is a SEAL and because of that he plays by a different set of rules when it comes to ferreting out information. His entire focus is the end-goal...not how he gets there. Liz is an FBI agent working on American soil. She has to play by the rules...which Derek doesn't accept. I loved to watch them as a team. Derek is this rogue agent type who is constantly dragging Liz along for her badge. It kept me smiling, but especially when his techniques worked. While I'm not a fan of that in real life, it worked so incredibly well for this story. 

Derek is constantly pushing Liz for more. She's not the type to normally give in, but he's persistent and so sure that he's always right...and he usually is. I loved watching him convince her to trust him. It was definitely a gradual thing that grew more and more throughout the book which translated into their relationship, too. The focus of the story is definitely the suspense, but for this romance loving girl, I didn't have a complaint about the romance either. It's all really well done and I would grab up another Laura Griffin read in a heartbeat. I'm pretty sure I have a couple of hers on my to-be-read shelf. I need to go dig them up.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: