Saturday, January 10, 2015

A Christmas Wish by Mina Khan

Title: A Christmas Wish
Author: Mina Khan
My Rating: A-

Genre: Paranormal Romance 
Series: A Djinn World Novella
Main Characters: Rayed and Selene
Release Date: December 2014
Publisher: -
Links to Purchase
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: spicy


Story Overview:
Rayez, a smoking hot chef and fire djinn in exile, lands himself in deep trouble (at the bottom of a beer bottle) when he tries to help a mysterious beautiful woman. 
Selene is pursued and desperate. She’ll do anything to keep her brother safe—including capture a djinn. 
While deception brings them together, dangerous enemies make them unlikely allies. Can one gigantic wrong lead to two rights and true love? 
*Also included are some of the recipes Rayez made in the book.* 

*This is an enhanced and expanded version of a story previously published as Sealed With A Kiss in the Alphas Unleashed anthology.*

My Review:
This is such a creative and unusual world that we simply don't see very often in paranormal romance...djinn's. Or if you're like me, you know them better as genies. Rayez states in the book...djinn is more respectful of the heritage of these amazing group/sect/paranormal species (??...I don't know, but they aren't human...they are a magic based group.)

The world doesn't know about djinn's and Rayez maintains a low-key presence as a chef in his restaurant in Houston. As a fire djinn, he enjoys the warm, moist climate. But the book takes place during a strong winter storm...which is absolutely miserable state of being for a fire-djinn. He's closing up the restaurant early when he comes across a homeless woman who's freezing and starving in the alley. Well, he can't just leave her there in the storm...

And that sets up the story and opening brilliant scenes between Rayez and Selene. I loved the way this book began. It sucked me right into the story and I didn't want to put the book down. It was a great mix of paranormal and normal everyday struggle of life for Selene and her brother who are simply trying to get by. I love that addition of magic and paranormal to the world and the story. And this is a really action-packed story. There are all kinds of things happening...and an interesting twist at the end...so could there be more to come? I hope so.

Selene is tough and loyal. She has to protect her younger brother whatever the cost. Rayez is alpha and protective and trying so hard to make up for past mistakes. They make an incredible team and I could see a whole future of stories with the two of them (hint, hint...Mina Khan)... It was just a fun, suspenseful, magical ride and made me want to believe and hope that there really is magic out there somewhere. I believe...

This is a Christmas story in that it takes place during the holidays, but that's a really minor point in the story. I think this is one that you could really enjoy year round. It would be especially good during cold weather or a snow storm. AND a huge added bonus...Rayez is a chef. Mina Khan included three of his yummy recipes in the back of the story. I can't wait to try them ALL out. I am not much of a cook, but the recipes in question were in the story and had my mouth watering when they were discussing them. I'm intrigued enough to pull out my dusty apron to try them out. 

***All proceeds from the first two weeks of sales will be donated to the Concho Valley Regional Food Bank. *** 

No comments: