Friday, December 5, 2014

Smoky Mountain Dreams by Leta Blake

Title: Smoky Mountain Dreams
Author: Leta Blake
My Rating: A


Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m)
Series: -
Main Characters: Jesse and Christopher
Release Date: November 2014
Publisher: -
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy


Story Overview:
Sometimes holding on means letting go

After giving up on his career as a country singer in Nashville, Christopher Ryder is happy enough performing at the Smoky Mountain Dreams theme park in Tennessee. But while his beloved Gran loves him the way he is, Christopher feels painfully invisible to everyone else. Even when he's center stage he aches for someone to see the real him.

Bisexual Jesse Birch has no room in his life for dating. Raising two kids and fighting with family after a tragic accident took his children's mother, he doesn't want more than an occasional hook-up. He sure as hell doesn't want to fall hard for his favorite local singer, but when Christopher walks into his jewelry studio, Jesse hears a new song in his heart.


My Review:
Wow...third time's the charm. I think with this book, Leta Blake just made it onto my auto-buy-author list. This is the third book of hers that I've read and it's the third book of hers that I've loved. 

I swore I wasn't going to get sucked into this book. I have too much on my TBR pile already and when I started it, I was 85% point of the review book that I was reading...which was also VERY good. But I read a mention about this book on Facebook so I went over to Amazon to check it out. I wasn't sure about the story line, so I started reading the kindle sample...just to see if I wanted to buy it to add to my TBR, NOT to read it. From that point on, I didn't set my kindle down again except for must-do things like take my child to school. Yep, I was sucked in and sucked in quickly.  

So what was it about this book that was so good? Two words...Christopher & Jesse. Both of these guys tore and shredded at my heart strings and while their stories are VERY different, they are also so alike in that they are alone in this world. Yeah, they both have people in their corner, but no one that's THE ONE. The one that they know they can rely on no matter what. Neither of them have that and it's a lonely existence. 

For Jesse, that hasn't always been the case. For most of his life, he had Marly. She was his best friend from a very young age. He was also always gay, but on an overseas trip, things changed between them in a bit of a twist...bisexual for you...and she got pregnant. He absolutely loved her, but 5 years ago she was in a car wreck that left her in a vegetative state. Now he lives a lonely existence concentrating on his two children and his jewelry-making business. 

Christopher, on the other hand, has never had anyone but his Gran. He's an entertainer at the Smoky Mountain theme park. He's the back-up. And in his own words, he's always been pretty much second choice in everything. When he talks about this, it breaks my heart. But Jesse has season passes to the park and has a bit of an obsession for Christopher. So it's pure luck when Christopher comes to Jesse's jewelry shop to get a piece made for his grandmother. 

These two together...LOVED them. Just in that they are so freaking good together. But there are SO MANY complications in their lives. Jesse has a whole family, including...hello, a wife and kids. His daughter is having serious issues dealing with her mother's state. She's a 12 yo girl who needs her mother and doesn't understand that she may be there in body, but she isn't in any other way. There's also the complication of the fact that Jesse's gay or bi...that's not an easy thing for kids to understand. For Christopher...wow, his family is just plain nuts and not in any way good. Religious fanatics that tear him down and reject him for being gay every single they are around them. Those scenes shredded me to read. I just want to hold and protect him from their horrible venom. 

And then there's the thing that they do extremely well...wowzer, the scenes in this book are incredibly hot. Jesse is a jewelry maker and let's just say he has amazing skills when it comes to pearls. And all joking aside, it is an incredibly sexy book, but I loved the way the two guys connected over their creative arts in such a sensual way. Jesse makes and designs jewelry, but he's also a really intuitive person. He sees emotion in everything, including his jewelry. It's almost like auras, but he reads them in everything including spaces which was an interesting twist to the book. And then Christopher is a song-writer. I loved the way his music would come to him at surprising moments. 

The book was just plain good. It moved me and entertained me and I didn't want to stop reading from the moment I started it. It's a really beautiful story about letting go and learning to love. And ultimately it's a story about two men finding a family within each other. I loved it! Leta Blake- remember her name and add her to your TBR list NOW!!!

No comments: