Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Hour of Need by Melinda Leigh

Title: Hour Of Need
Author: Melinda Leigh
My Rating: A+


Genre: Romantic Suspense
Series: Scarlett Falls #1
Main Characters: Grant and Ellie
Release Date: December 2014
Publisher: Montlake
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy


Story Overview:
While fighting in Afghanistan, Major Grant Barrett receives devastating news: his brother and sister-in-law have been murdered in Scarlet Falls, the sleepy suburb of Grant's youth. Emotionally scarred from war, the career soldier returns home on emergency leave to temporarily care for his orphaned nephew and niece. But when someone tries to kidnap the kids and their teenage babysitter, Grant knows it's not a random act and neither were the murders.

Already devastated by her neighbors's violent deaths, Ellie Ross is shattered by the attempted abduction of her teenage daughter so she desperately turns to Grant for help. As they navigate a deadly search for the truth, they struggle with growing feelings for each other and Grant's impending return to deployment.

But time is running out. The killer is growing bolder by the hour, and Ellie and Grant must find him before the children become his next victims.

Bestselling author Melinda Leigh delivers another gritty mystery simmering with spine-tingling passion in this first Scarlet Falls novel.



My Review:
I've always been a fan of Melinda Leigh's writing, but I honestly think this is her best book yet. I LOVED this one!! There's so much depth to the story and writing on this one and all of it is good. Everything in the book is centered around the murder mystery of Lee and Kate...Grant's brother and sister-in-law and Ellie's neighbors. 

*** The mystery of who killed Grant's brother and sister-in-law and why. And I will tell you right now, I kept guessing throughout the entire book and the twists and turns at the end still took me completely by surprise. Melinda Leigh wove this one perfectly. All the hints were there, but she slipped them in so well, I didn't catch any of them. Superbly written suspense story. 

*** The whole back-story with Grant's PTSD mixed with the way his brother and sil were murdered was amazingly well-done. His pain was so visceral on the page. I just wanted to hug him. 

*** The orphaned kids. I loved what they added to the story. Carson's drawings killed me and the fact that the baby had colic and how difficult it was for all of them to handle on top of everything else. 

*** The devastation to Grant's whole set of siblings. All three of them are over-achievers in their careers, but not so much in their personal lives. I loved the dynamic between them as they realize how much they weren't there for Lee. I also loved how they all worked together to support the two kids. I know that this is the beginning of a new series and I'm hoping the other books focus on Grant's brother and sister because they were wonderful characters. 

*** The whole ice-skating rink/bullying story was incredibly interesting...while at the same time, so sad. To hear what Lindsay went through was heartbreaking especially knowing that this happens to kids all the time. I thought Melinda Leigh did an expert job of showing the issues with bullying...at all levels, not just the teenagers. This side story was inserted into the text so perfectly so that you got little glimpses into the torture Lindsay went through before her death. 

*** Ellie is a house-flipper and I liked the little details that added to the story and the scene where she's taking her frustrations out on her walls. 

*** And finally, the romantic story line between Grant and Ellie. They both know he's only there temporarily while he sorts out his family issues and are respectful of what that means to a relationship. Their dynamic felt very natural and real and I liked the way that it progressed. It was very believable. 

Every single thing about this story worked for me. I liked that Grant is a military guy and how that influenced the impact of the murders on his psyche. The bullying story line was incredibly well done. I also loved the suspense and mystery. I did not have a clue and love it when an author is able to do that to me. Melinda Leigh wrote an incredible story and I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who loves a bit of suspense added to their romance. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: