Monday, December 1, 2014

Frost Burned (audiobook) by Patricia Briggs


Title: Frost Burned
Author: Patricia Briggs
My Rating: A
Narrator: Lorelei King


Genre: Urban Fantasy 
Series: Mercy Thompson #7
Main Characters: Mercy Thompson
Release Date: March 2013
Publisher: Ace
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: mild



Story Overview:
Mercy Thompson's life has undergone a seismic change. Becoming the mate of Adam Hauptman - the charismatic Alpha of the local werewolf pack - has made her a stepmother to his daughter Jesse, a relationship that brings moments of blissful normalcy to Mercy's life. But on the edges of humanity, a minor mishap on an ordinary day can turn into so much more. After an accident in bumper-to-bumper traffic, Mercy and Jesse can't reach Adam - or anyone else in the pack for that matter. They've all been abducted. Through their mating bond, all Mercy knows is that Adam is angry and in pain. Outclassed and on her own, Mercy may be forced to seek assistance from the most unlikely of allies: the vampire seethe.

My Review:

Overall.... 4.5
Performance... 4.75

Story.... 4.5

Absolutely everything about this book was good! I loved this one! I particularly like the way this one started with Jesse and Mercy doing Black Friday shopping and all the craziness that entails. I honestly was riveted from page one with what was going on with the pack, the wreck, everything. This book grabbed hold of me and never let go. Loved, loved, LOVED all the action in this one. 

And I also really enjoyed being back in the arms of the pack again...both Adam's wolf-pack and Mercy's pack of strays. Ben & Kyle...gah, I love both these guys and I loved how much page time they got. Honestly, I think Ben is one of the most under-appreciated wolves. He is so strong and his will-power in this one was amazing. I love how much he is tied to and devoted to her...probably because their relationship was so not that way to begin with. They just have a great partnership...mainly in that it's so unexpected. 

And this book explored even more of Mercy's powers. I love how much they continue to grow and evolve and surprise even her. Coyote is an interesting mentor to her. Honestly, I don't even really like the character, but I like what Patricia Briggs has done with him in the story to help Mercy. 

And then there's the little easter egg of happiness in this book...TWO WHOLE CHAPTERS FROM ADAM'S POV. I squealed aloud when the first one happened and then couldn't believe that there was a second. Mercy and Adam are in such a good stable place which is crazy when you consider how unstable their lives are on a daily basis. Their marriage has enriched them and I like that a lot. No, he hates that she risks herself and his wolf fights him on letting her do her thing...BUT there's a respect between them. She takes him into consideration when she knows she's doing something risky and does everything in her power to negate the risk and to let him know exactly what's going on so there's no question if it goes bad. 

In this book there were more vampire politics. Stefan...love him. Wulfe...I like him too and think in the end of the series he's gonna be a serious ally too. He's so slippery, but I think he honestly admires what Mercy is able to accomplish and I think that will end up working for good. The whole story with Marcelia's car cracked me up through the whole book. I loved everyone's reactions when they would see the car and then find out it was hers. It's that thread of humor that flows through these books which just puts them above-par for my enjoyment levels. These stories make me laugh and they make me cry, but above all I adore Mercy and her neverending fight for what's right...no matter the cost. That right there is the perfect Urban Fantasy set-up and why this continues to be one of my top UF series reads ever!!

And yes, Lorelei King continues to be brilliant in her narration of these books. Wow, that woman has talent!



No comments: