Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Bad Behavior by K.A. Mitchell


Title: Bad Behavior
Author: K.A. Mitchell
My Rating: B+


Genre: Erotic Romance (m/m)
Series: Bad in Baltimore #5
Main Characters: David "Beach" and Tai
Release Date: December 2014
Publisher: Samhain
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: erotic


Story Overview:
In a life full of yes, no is the sexiest word he s ever heard.

David Beauchamp might as well be in jail. After one too many misunderstandings with the law, he s chained to the city by the GPS and alcohol sensor strapped to his ankle. Awaiting trial, cut off from usual forms of entertainment, he goes looking for a nameless sexual encounter and winds up with almost more than he can handle.

Reality comes crashing back the next day with a summons for another random drug test, and the man behind the badge turns out to be the very man who took him for one hell of a ride.

Probation Officer Tai Fonoti is used to handling other people s problems, but he s horrified when one of the clients his boss dumps on him is the sweet piece of ass he screwed the night before. It makes getting a urine sample a pretty loaded situation.

That single encounter left Beach craving Tai s unique brand of control and discipline. But while Tai relishes laying down the law in the bedroom, the letter of the law stands between them and kinkily ever after.


Warning: This book is kinky. I mean kinky. With lots of sex. It describes a fully consensual, intense D/s relationship which changes a character s life. It includes impact play and bondage along the way to a very happily ever after.


My Review:
Beach is a tough character to understand and like. At first glance, he's a shallow, rich, party-boy who thinks of no one but himself. There were times when I was reading him and felt so awful for him, but then he'd do or think something totally wrong and I'd begin to question him again and if I was wrong to like him. That conundrum made it a bit difficult to settle into the rhythm of this story. Ultimately, you get to know who Beach really is, but it's not an easy road to get there. Unfortunately Beach is one of those guys. He's rich and no one has ever expected him to do anything more...and they've all been pretty vocal about that...even his best friend. It's hard to live with those low expectations and it did ultimately break my heart for him. 

Tai, on the other hand, expects so much better from him and I loved Tai for that. He doesn't let Beach slack and when he does, Tai totally calls him on it. For that reason, I liked this book. Tai makes David (Beach) a better person and for the first time in his life...he really wants to be a better person. Unfortunately, David has really rotten luck too. Part of that is because he doesn't want to let anyone down so he doesn't ask for help...ever...even when he really does need it. The other side though is that no one takes him seriously. 

It's a different book with an interesting dynamic, but as a whole, it really, really worked for me. This is the first I've read in this series and did buy book #4 after reading this one. (note...I received an ARC of this book way early so am writing this review in September although it won't post until December.)

I liked the set-up of this one. I found it very believable in how Tai and Beach met. I could totally see that happening. I couldn't stand Beach's friend, Gavin, and his boyfriend in how they treated Beach. I have a feeling I would feel differently after I read their book, but I have to admit I like that I read this book first because Beach didn't need any more strikes against him going into this one and I have a feeling that in their book he's even more unlikable. 

The book is well written and entertaining. There is a level of BDSM in it, but I enjoyed that aspect and how Tai both worked through his issues as a Dom for David and how David would come to realizations about the lifestyle. David is a sub, so this isn't an easy adjustment for him to accept, but I thought the author handled that aspect of the story brilliantly. I loved when all the previous couples from the series would get together and definitely plan on picking up all their stories eventually. 

I recommend this one.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: