Friday, November 28, 2014

The Boyfriend Mandate by River Jaymes


Title: The Boyfriend Mandate
Author: River Jaymes
My Rating: A+


Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m)
Series: The Boyfriend Chronicles #2
Main Characters: Tyler and Memphis
Release Date: October 2013
Publisher: -
Links to Purchase
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
Stuntman and two-time cancer survivor Memphis Haines excels at beating the odds. When he’s presented with the opportunity to help his ex-boyfriend with a charity event, he jumps at the chance to make up for the devastating way he left Tyler ten years ago. Memphis might have taken the college geek’s virginity, but the former mathelete is now a hell of a head turner. And Dr. Tyler Hall’s cool reserve is a challenge Memphis can’t resist. A self-confessed rule breaker and line crosser, he keeps turning up the heat with one goal in mind: to melt the man’s composure.

Tyler Hall sticks to one simple mandate: no more dating ex-boyfriends. Ever. He certainly isn't interested in hooking up with Memphis Haines, the ex who jumps off buildings, dodges explosions, and poses for designer underwear ads. Ten years ago, falling for Memphis changed Tyler’s life. The man’s abrupt departure turned his world inside out. But he moved on long ago. Besides, he has a clinic for the homeless to run, patients to take care of, and no time to deal with the trouble his ex brings. Memphis, however, seems determined to rehash the past. And his boxer-dropping grin, hard body, and confident charm are resurrecting ultra-hot memories best not remembered, making Tyler’s rule harder and harder to keep...

My Review:
Without a doubt, The Backup Boyfriend is one of my favorite books that I've read this entire year (I read it in Jan...you can find my review of it HERE.) So, while I expected this one to be good, I didn't expect it to ever live up to the other. I was so wrong. This book was so freaking good!

Memphis and Tyler...wow, these two guys. Memphis is a balls-to-the-wall, take-no-prisoners adrenaline junkie. He does stunts. He models underwear. He's gorgeous. He's personable. And he broke Tyler's heart when he left without a single word after an 18 month relationship. That was 10 years ago and circumstances have brought them together again...paparazzi and mutual charity work. Since they broke up, Memphis went back to women and was even married.

Tyler is repressed. He's stoic. He's a contained kind of guy. He's a doctor who's passionate about his patients and charity, but nothing else fazes him much. But there's a reason for that. Memphis broke him 10 years ago. Tyler was abandoned by his mother at the age of 4 and then abandoned by his lover in much the same way. For Tyler, Memphis was his forever. For him to leave without a word was harsh in so many ways.

But now Memphis is back and seeking forgiveness and that broke my heart...because there is SO MUCH MORE to this story. Wow...it makes me teary the morning after just trying to write this review. This book is so emotional and River Jaymes did an incredible job of spinning the layers of the story so you find out bit by slow bit what is really going on. And in the middle of all those bits are some seriously sexy times for these two guys who still have incredible chemistry and not a few unresolved emotions. 

I'm telling you right now...if River Jaymes is not on your reading list...you need to ADD HER NOW. This book and story was so good. Like I said, the first in the series was already on my TOP TEN list for the year...but now, I'm thinking this one has to go on there too. So good! (Note...I'm an angst girl so angsty books like this totally work for me, but this book did not work for a lot of people. Personally I adore characters that have flaws. I have issues that way, but I love an HEA for characters that sometimes don't really deserve a second chance.)

And now I'm ready...where is book #3? Noah & Ky...I'm ready!!

No comments: