Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Illusion by J.S. Cooper


Title: Illusion
Author: J.S. Cooper
My Rating: C-


Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Swept Away #1
Main Characters: Bianca and Jakob
Release Date: November 2014
Publisher: Gallery
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:

Indie sensation and New York Times bestselling author of the Ex Games series and the Private Club series, J.S. Cooper introduces the Swept Away series—three new, dark and sexy romances about a woman marooned on a desert island with a mysterious stranger—but is he friend or foe?

The day started like every other day...

Bianca London finds herself kidnapped and locked up in a van with a strange man. Ten hours later, they’re dumped on a deserted island. Bianca has no idea what’s going on and her attraction to this stranger is the only thing keeping her fear at bay.

Jakob Bradley wants only to figure out why they’ve been left on the island and how they can get off. But as the days go by, he can’t ignore his growing fascination with Bianca.

In order to survive, Bianca and Jakob must figure out how they’re connected, but as they grow closer, secrets are revealed that may destroy everything they thought they knew about each other.


My Review:
There are four words to describe why I gave this book such a low rating...
Too.Stupid.To.Live.

That's the heroine in this book to a "T". I don't think I've ever disliked a heroine in a book as much as I disliked Bianca. Seriously, her character drove me crazy. She's trapped on a deserted island with Jakob. She catches him over and over behaving bizarrely, lying to her, and just acting completely bat-shit crazy. But then he touches her and she looks at his perfect body and swoons because the guy is sexy. What?!?! Seriously, wtf?

I just didn't get that or get her character. I don't care what kind of sexual chemistry you have with a guy, if you can't trust him, you have nothing and he proved over and over and over again that she couldn't trust him. Seriously, over and over again. And the fact of the matter is...he didn't even like her. He told her at least 20 times that she was after men only for their money. He really hates her...and is messing with her the entire time. 

And I kept reading. *sigh* That's on me. I shouldn't have. I should have DNF'ed the book. But I just kept hoping that the author would give me something. Something that would save this book. Something that proved to me that Jakob wasn't an insane psycho and Bianca wasn't a naive bimbo. But nope, it never came. In fact, by the end I was just more convinced that I wasted my time with this book. 

And that makes me sad because the premise was good, intriguing, and suspenseful. But there was too much back and forth of the characters motivations for me to like either one of them. Bianca on one page telling Jakob she trusts him with her life and then 3 pages later he shuts his eyes to listen to the sound of water and suddenly she doesn't trust him again?!? Believe me there was plenty that Jakob was doing to make her not trust him, but that? That was not one of them. It's like the characters were completely bi-polar and it happened over and over again with both characters.

I know there are authors out there that different readers just don't connect with. Sadly, I think that J.S. Cooper is one of those for me because there are so many amazing reviews for this book. But I personally just don't see the appeal. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: