Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Darker Water by Lauren Stewart

Title: Darker Water
Author: Lauren Stewart
My Rating: A++


Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Once and Forever #1
Main Characters: Laney and Carson
Release Date: October 2014
Publisher: Off the Hook Publishing
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
After another painful breakup, Laney Temple finally understands that love is a fairytale and sex rarely comes with a happy ending. She's too busy for it right now anyway--she has a business to run, art to create, and candy to crush. Eventually she'll be ready to switch from her plastic-or-silicon lover to a flesh-and-blood one. But before that happens, she needs to be sure she won't feel any of those annoying emotions that make her heart do things it wasn't meant to do...

Like break

Carson Bennett is completely upfront about what he wants, and it has nothing to do with Laney's heart. Her lips? Hell yeah. Other parts of her body? You better f*cking believe it. But her heart? Nope, not even a little. Until it does...a lot. But having feelings for someone isn't allowed. It's the kind of thing you're supposed to push down deep and cover up with one-night stands, sarcasm, and booze...

Like secrets

Two people want the same thing--a commitment to nothing more than great sex in a bunch of different positions. Simple. Enjoyable. A win-win. Problem is, those two people have families and fears and pain that spill into every moment of their lives, control what they do and who they are. And if either Carson or Laney can't free themselves from the past, they'll both be pulled under by it.

*** Darker Water is a stand-alone contemporary romance that does not end in a cliffhanger.


My Review:
I'll be honest. I discovered this author when I reviewed her Hyde series...and loved that series. When this book came out, it sounded somewhat intriguing and I liked her writing style, so I bought it even though I knew it would probably languish in my teetering TBR pile. Because this author writes urban fantasy. She does that really well, but I wasn't so sure she could translate her style into contemporary romance. Well, a few weeks later she sent me a review request for the book and I told her that I already owned it and when I got a hole in my tight review schedule, I'd slide it up. Well, unexpectedly a hole opened up this past weekend when I dnf'ed a book I should have loved. I don't know about you, but when I dnf a book it means I'm probably in a pickier mood than normal. Another strike before I even started this book that I probably wasn't going to enjoy it. 

Well, I am telling you right now that this book knocked all my expectations out of the water. 
IT. WAS. SO. GOOD. 
This book absolutely WILL BE on my Top Ten list of my favorite reads of 2014. So, so good. If you get nothing else from this review, you need to know that you need to go buy this book right now. 

And there are two reasons for that...Carson and Laney. 

OMG, I don't think I've ever loved a couple more than I have these two. They are both so messed up, but they are so honest about that dysfunction that it makes their relationship work. And in an amazing way. Never have I read a book that had more fun back and forth in the dialogue. Smart, witty, snappy...reading the dialogue between the two of them was incredible. I just kept smiling as they would toss snark and wit back and forth between the two of them. They just work so well together and that's way before we talk about the sexual chemistry...which, OMG! 

Carson...this is where this guy shines. He loves a woman's body and he does so much to free Laney from all those hang-ups that women develop. I could fall in love with him for that alone. He was incredible in how he handled her and freed her to simply be herself. No front. No bs.

And they did have a freedom between them. It's complete honesty. No walls. No fronts. No subterfuge. They went into this arrangement with their eyes wide-open. Emotion isn't allowed. Carson can't do emotional entanglements. And Laney ruins the princes. She has the opposite effect. Her princes turn into frogs after dating her for a certain amount of time. Neither of them trusts that they can have a successful relationship so they don't have one. They have a friendship with really hot, incredible sex. That's it. There's no future and they both know that. Until they don't...

I'm telling you. This book is so good. I devoured it, but at the same time, I didn't want it to end. Yes, it was one of those. There's emotion and angst and romance and a relationship so pure, it almost hurts in its honesty. But it was also fun and snarky and sweet. This book had EVERYTHING and everything it had was written incredibly well. I loved it and HIGHLY recommend it!!!

1 comment:

Lauren Stewart said...

Note to self: Never trust a comment I make from my phone will actually show up where I want it to.

So here I am...again. Thanking you for that awesome review...again. And I'd like to thank whoever wrote the book you dnf'd too. If not for them, Darker Water would still be in your TBR pile. :)

<3 - Lauren