Tuesday, October 7, 2014

The Walls of Troy by L.A. Witt

Title: The Walls of Troy
Author: L.A. Witt
My Rating: B+


Genre: Romantic Suspense (m/m)
Series: -
Main Characters: Iskander and Troy
Release Date: October 2014
Publisher: Samhain
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot



Story Overview:
Just when the pieces begin to add up, danger blows them all apart…
MA1 Iskander Ayhan’s orders are simple: stay with Admiral Dalton’s son as a plainclothes bodyguard while the kid attends university classes. So typical—a high-ranking officer abusing Navy resources for unnecessary security.
It isn’t long before Iskander realizes there’s more to his assignment than protecting the kid from benign harassment by homophobic classmates. Behind those piercings, eyeliner, and bad attitude, Troy Dalton is scared. Truly, deeply, scared.
Troy is indeed hiding something. Iskander is the only one who’s ever taken his fears seriously, which gives him hope. Yet Troy isn’t sure one lone, armed-to-the-teeth bodyguard is enough to keep him safe, especially since he can’t risk telling Iskander the truth.
As Iskander slowly gains Troy’s trust, the walls start coming down. And before they know it, the warmth between them explodes into real heat. Until suddenly Iskander realizes he’s a magnet for danger, not a shield.
Now he doesn’t know how to keep Troy safe—stay close, or get as far away from him as possible.
Warning: Contains a younger man with a thing for older men, and an older man who doesn’t usually have quite so much trouble resisting younger men. Author is not responsible for any bad academic habits that might result from watching these two “study” for their exams.


My Review:
The first half of this book really captured my attention simply because for the longest time the reader or any of the other characters in the book really know what's going on with Troy. It's obvious that something has him terrified and he definitely has signs of PTSD. But there are also signs that not all is as he says it is. The other bodyguards thinks he's just trying to get attention, but Iskander feels that there's much more going on. He doesn't think that Troy has been completely honest, but he's pretty positive that Troy thinks he's in danger. 

And that whole build-up was done incredibly well. I was dying to know what the true story was. But I'll admit that when it did come out, I was slightly disappointed. For some reason, I just expected his danger to be "more"...

The other little niggle that I had with this book was the age difference. While in general life, 13 years isn't that much of a thing. It's huge when comparing life experiences and interests between age 20 and 33. Maybe it's because my son is 19, but 20 seems so young for someone when he's paired with someone who's almost middle-aged. And I could come closer to buying that if Troy didn't still live at home with his dad. He may be 20, but as far as life experiences go, he's still very much a kid...with no responsibilities or true adult experience (and I'm not talking about sex here). He can't even drink legally. 

But despite those two things, I did enjoy this book. The forbidden relationship (since Iskander is supposed to be guarding Troy, not having sex with him) added an extra little spice to the story line and I've already said, I think the build-up was done extraordinarily well. The situation with the Navy providing bodyguard and family security for the family was interesting. Once it all comes out about what Troy is afraid of, the danger ratchets up significantly so that really worked for me. I definitely didn't want to put the book down. 

Overall, it was an interesting read and I enjoyed it. I had my small problems with the story, but in no way did they affect how much I liked reading the book while in the moment and it was incredibly well-written, fast-paced, and interesting. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review. 

No comments: