Tuesday, October 14, 2014

One In a Million by Jill Shalvis

Title: One In a Million
Author: Jill Shalvis
My Rating: B+


Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: Lucky Harbor #12
Main Characters: Callie and Tanner
Release Date: October 2014
Publisher: Forever
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
As the brains behind wedding site TyingTheKnot.com, Callie sees it all: from the ring to the dress, the smiles . . . to the tears. It's that last part that keeps her single and not looking. Getting left at the altar will do that to a girl. But when Callie returns to her old hometown, she finds that her sweet high school crush is sexier than ever. And he makes it hard to remember why she's sworn off love . . .

Tanner is a deep-sea diver with a wild, adrenaline-junkie past—and now his teenage son is back in his life. How can Tanner be a role model when he's still paying for his own mistakes? It's hard enough that gorgeous Callie has appeared in town like a beautiful dream, challenging his best-laid plans to keep his heart on lockdown. Though there's something about being around her again that makes him feel like he can be the man she—and his son—deserve. Little Lucky Harbor holds their past; can it hold a beautiful new future?


My Review:
The final book in the series and I'll admit, I'm completely okay with that. Twelve books is probably a few too many, but I did love this trio of guys and I've been really looking forward to Tanner's book because he's seemed so wounded. That being said though, this book didn't quite live up to my angst expectations. I expected it to be so much more emotional than it was...both with Tanner's injuries and then the unexpected teenager who suddenly shows up on his doorstep. 

Don't get me wrong...it was fine. It was a pleasant, enjoyable read. I just expected it to be a bit more especially as the final book. I don't think Tanner got the exploration of emotional depth that he deserved. I also think that the book was hurt by Callie's business. I just don't see how a wedding planner can do everything via internet. It seemed so shallow and that shallow feel seemed to touch all aspects of the story and I have no idea why. 

There were some amazing moments in this book though. I especially loved the scenes between Callie and Troy. I really loved how they connected which enabled him to connect with Tanner better. That, hands down, was the best part for me. I think that there should have been even more teenage angst and danger for Troy though. I think it would have really boosted Tanner's story line and the danger that he's constantly put himself into in the past. I also really liked the PTSD story for what Tanner went through on the drilling rig and his subsequent injury. That injury has played such a big part of how we've known Tanner in the past two books. It seemed like it was a by-product in this story so it was good that his trauma from the actual accident was highlighted in the story. 

I have liked this entire series. This book wasn't quite as emotional for me as the others have been, but it was still an enjoyable read. All of these books work as stand-alones, but it's a good series. Just don't worry about reading them in order. Take them and read them as the story lines appeal to you. The only spoilers you'll get if you read them out of order is who is paired with who. Eventually, I'll probably miss Lucky Harbor and go back and read my favorites, but I am so excited about what Jill Shalvis may have next on the horizon for us. It's sure to be good. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: