Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Maybe This Christmas by Sarah Morgan

Title: Maybe This Christmas
Author: Sarah Morgan
My Rating: A


Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: O'Neill Brothers #3
Main Characters: Tyler and Brenna
Release Date: October 2014
Publisher: Harlequin
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy



Story Overview:
This winter, ex-skiing champion, reformed heartbreaker and single dad Tyler O'Neil has only one mission—making sure his daughter, Jess, has the best Christmas ever. The fact that his best friend, Brenna, is also temporarily moving into his chalet at the overbooked Snow Crystal resort is a delicious distraction he's simply going to have to ignore. Theirs is the one relationship he's never ruined, and he's not about to start now. 

Ski pro Brenna Daniels knows all about the perils of unrequited love—she's been in love with Tyler for years. But living with him is absolute torture…how can she concentrate on being his friend when he's sleeping in the room next door? Then when Tyler kisses Brenna, suddenly the relationship she's always dreamed of feels so close she could almost touch it. Could this be the Christmas her dreams of a happy-ever-after finally come true?


My Review:
I've loved this entire series. (here are the links to my reviews for books #1 and #2.) And as a result, I expected great things from this final book and the final brother. I was not disappointed...yay, I love it when that happens. 

Tyler has been in all the stories as a somewhat tragic figure. Skiing and competing in with World circuit are his passion, but that was taken away from him in a brutal crash that ended his ability to ski competitively anymore. He was also a teenage parent with his 13 yo daughter dropped on his doorstep in one of the two books (I can't remember which one it was.) Brenna has been his best friend through it all. She basically grew up with the O'Neill's but she's always had a special relationship with Tyler, as the only one who could keep up with him. She's also been hiding the fact that she's been in love with him the entire time even though she thinks he doesn't see her as anything more than a pseudo-sister. She'd be wrong.

It's no secret that I love friends-to-lovers stories and this is a good one. I loved everything about it, but loved the twist about how their relationship tied back to Jess's birth. I did not see that twist coming, but wow, it was so perfect for this story and the real tragedy of Brenna's life and emotions for Tyler. Brenna and Tyler are both fighting their feelings because Tyler doesn't do relationships. Adding a romance into the mix is just a guarantee that they will ultimately screw everything up between them. They both know this. 

And all of this is set in the most perfect setting...the family ski lodge in Vermont where they are surrounded by a holiday-perfect, snowy, mountain setting. I want to go spend Christmas here! I love all the characters in this series and I especially loved this grouping of Tyler, Brenna, and Jess. Jess is 13 and the scenes between her and the adults were great. I loved how true they felt to how a 13 yo would react to things. Tyler wasn't a part of her life the first 12 years, but he handles her so well with an honesty that I think a kid that age would appreciate. He's a great father and I enjoyed these scenes...even when he's making honest, human mistakes. I thought he and Brenna made a great parenting team even when they weren't trying to do anything by nurture and take care of her. 

I'm sad to see the series come to an end because I've enjoyed it so much, but I've bought all the books in print so I can keep revisiting them on my keeper shelf. This is definitely a series that I will reread especially during the winter/holiday months. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: