Friday, October 17, 2014

Magic Breaks by Ilona Andrews


Title: Magic Breaks
Author: Ilona Andrews
My Rating: A+


Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Kate Daniels #7
Main Characters: Kate and Curran
Release Date: July 2014
Publisher: Ace
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
No matter how much the paranormal politics of Atlanta change, one thing always remains the same: if there’s trouble, Kate Daniels will be in the middle of it…

As the mate of the Beast Lord, Curran, former mercenary Kate Daniels has more responsibilities than it seems possible to juggle. Not only is she still struggling to keep her investigative business afloat, she must now deal with the affairs of the pack, including preparing her people for attack from Roland, a cruel ancient being with god-like powers. Since Kate’s connection to Roland has come out into the open, no one is safe—especially those closest to Kate.

As Roland’s long shadow looms ever nearer, Kate is called to attend the Conclave, a gathering of the leaders from the various supernatural factions in Atlanta. When one of the Masters of the Dead is found murdered there, apparently at the hands of a shapeshifter, Kate is given only twenty-four hours to hunt down the killer. And this time, if she fails, she’ll find herself embroiled in a war which could destroy everything she holds dear…

My Review:
I keep thinking this series can't get any better and then the next book comes out and the authors prove me completely and totally wrong. I love everywhere this series went in this story. 

And before I talk about the book I need to take just a moment to talk about what's in the book BEFORE the story. There's a note there from the authors talking about the series. This book closes up a story line that has flowed over the last 7 books. As a result, it has the feel of a final book. Thank god, it's not the last one. They are still contracted for another 3 books. That was such a relief to know going into the book. Otherwise, I probably would have cried all the way through this one. I love these characters so much. 

The other thing that's at the beginning of the story is an OVERVIEW of who all the characters are and how they pertain to the story. THANK YOU to the Ilona Andrews team!!! While I have read and adored this entire series, I read over 400 books a year so there are at least that many books between reading each consecutive book in the series. With a huge world like this it would be so easy to pick up a new novel and spend the first 25-50% of it lost and trying to remember things about the last 6 books. For once, I didn't have that in this one!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

And that was just the beginning of the things that made me happy in this book. Unfortunately, this is another book where Curran isn't around for much of the story, but when he was the moments between him and Kate were perfection. So much direct honesty in this book...no subterfuge, no confusion, no doubts. Yes...I LOVED them together on the page and as a team. They are so freaking strong together and I love that. 

But Kate is strong by herself too and once again she had to prove that over and over in this book. The two have been separated and Kate is having to hold the pack together and keep them safe by herself. While I love so many members of the pack as individuals, as a whole I really hate how inflexible they are about her. Ugh...they don't deserve her loyalty. And that truly is the theme for this book...Kate's loyalty to the pack and to Curran and her friends. She's willing to sacrifice everything to keep them safe...over and over again. 

And since I hate spoilers, there's not too much I can get into with the specifics, but here are a list of things I loved about this book:
*Kate out with Ascanio, Derek, Desandra, and Robert- that group dynamic was awesome and I loved the quips back and forth between them. Those scenes were brilliant fun... even the super intense ones. 
*the whole scene with the new sword between Curran and Kate...so funny, but then when Landon reacted to it, Curran's quips literally had me rolling. I love the humor in these books. 
*the twist at the end was SO UNEXPECTED. Wow...I never saw that happening, but can't wait to see what it means for the future of the series. I think it's a good thing. 
*That cover...oh, it's just so gorgeous. I love that I have it in hardcover. I'm not usually a fan of women on covers, but this one is definitely one of my favorite covers of the year!!

No comments: