Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Love Me To Death by Marissa Clarke

Title: Love Me to Death
Author: Marissa Clarke
My Rating: B


Genre: Paranormal Romance 
Series: The Underveil #1
Main Characters: Elena and Nik
Release Date: October 2014
Publisher: Entangled
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
Medical research scientist Elena Arcos has always lived her life under the radar, which is not easy to do when you live with the craziest woman in the world. But eccentric Aunt Uza is a picnic compared to the other people who enter her orderly life after she is shot in a convenience store robbery.

Elena finds herself rocketed from comfortable predictability to supernatural insanity courtesy of her own private angel of death who happens to have the sexiest accent on earth and a body to match. Her death angel is convinced she’s some kind of freaky half vampire thing and that her deceased dad was the real deal: a blood sucking monster. 

Yeah, right. She’ll play along, but then she doesn’t have much choice seeing how as the guy claims to be some immortal law enforcer and has taken her prisoner.

* * *

Nikolai Itzov had expected to fight the urge to torture the progeny of his father’s murderer, but he’d never anticipated battling the urge to kiss her her.

As a Slayer, an elite law enforcer descended from Azrael himself, his charge from the Underveil General is clear: Kill her or die. He has been told she is one of them--an Undead. Nothing but a parasite to be destroyed. But he has been told wrong. 

Nikolai and Elena find themselves in a life and death battle to stop a plot designed to lift the Underveil and enslave humans. 

With her analytical mind and his centuries of training and experience, they might be able to foil the plot with their lives and maybe their hearts intact. But in order to succeed, he must help her become the very thing he hates the most: an Undead.


My Review:
This is a very long book and it starts off in a very different place from where it ends. I'll admit, this book took me longer to read than normal...around 4-5 days versus my normal 1 and I really can't pinpoint why. The book is absolutely action-filled and interesting, but I did feel that there was too much of a leap for Elena's character from when she started to where she ended. But this is also an extremely complex world under the "veil" which is the magic in this world that humans can't see and it takes a lot to explain it all. 

The series has distinct possibilities. I really enjoyed Elena and Nik together especially the first half of the book. I liked the premise of their story that set the book and thought that was enough conflict to carry them throughout...but then things began to go crazy with all the different factions and twists in the story, legends, and both Nik and Elena's heritage. I personally feel that there was too much thrown into their story that made it needlessly complex. 

My other main complaint was Aunt Uza. Luckily her character doesn't come really into the story until the end so she wasn't on the page too much, but her character drove me batty. I could see that she was supposed to provide some moments of levity, but she just felt too far over the top for me to take seriously in any manner and brought down the entire book because of that...in my opinion. 

This isn't a bad book. My opinion was that there were too many layers of the story line thrown into it and this particular story became needlessly complex with the various characters that came into play, but it's an interesting world and I definitely wouldn't be against reading another in the series. I just won't be putting this one on my re-read list.

And I've mentioned it before, but I adore this cover...so gorgeous!

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: