Friday, October 24, 2014

Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs


Title: Iron Kissed
Author: Patricia Briggs
My Rating: A-


Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Mercy Thompson #3
Main Characters: Mercy
Release Date: January 2008
Publisher: Ace
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: mild


Story Overview:
I could smell her fear, and it satisfied something deep inside me that had been writhing under her cool, superior gaze. I curled my upper lip so she could get a good look at my sharp teeth. I might only weigh thirty or so pounds in my coyote shape, but I was a predator...

Mechanic Mercy Thompson can shift her shape - but not her loyalty. When her former boss and mentor is arrested for murder and left to rot behind bars by his own kind, it's up to Mercy to clear his name, whether he wants her to or not.

Mercy's loyalty is under pressure from other directions, too. Werewolves are not known for their patience, and if Mercy can't decide between the two she cares for, Sam and Adam may make the choice for her...

My Review:
Wow...I did not see this book going where it did and the events that happened to Mercy at the end broke my heart. 

The one thing that I absolutely love about Mercy is her loyalty to her friends. She may not be part of the pack, but she's created her own pack that she will fight to the death over. This book focuses on Zee, who the fae are determined to sacrifice to hide their secrets, but Mercy won't let that happen to him...or she will die trying to save him. This is one tough girl and I just love being able to cheer her on through these books. And the thing is...she doesn't see herself as particularly brave. She just does what she has to do and tries to keep her brain engaged so she doesn't do stupid things. 

And talking about the pack, I don't think anyone can discuss this book without talking about Ben and what he does for Mercy. These books are told entirely from Mercy's POV and she's never been a big fan of his, but wow...who knew there was such an incredibly tragic reason behind his prickly facade. And I loved that he put himself out there at great risk to protect her...someone that he owed no loyalty to. I love him for that. His revelations broke my heart, but I love him so much more for them. 

And then there's Sam and Adam. I love Sam and feel so hard for him, but I love how he and Mercy are with his feelings. It's a complex relationship between the two of them and after so much dishonesty from them when she was a teenager, I love how open they are with each other even when it hurts. I have a few more books in this series to read yet, but I'm hoping one of them has more positive things happening in his life. I'm worried about him. 

Again, I'm loving this series. I'm so glad I'm reading it late so I can read so many of the books back to back. I love doing that!


No comments: