Saturday, October 25, 2014

Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs



Title: Bone Crossed
Author: Patricia Briggs
My Rating: B+


Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Mercy Thompson #4
Main Characters: Mercy
Release Date: February 2009
Publisher: Ace
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: mild


Story Overview:
Car mechanic and sometime shapeshifter Mercy Thompson has learned, the hard way, why her race was almost exterminated. When European vampires immigrated to North America, they found Mercy's people had a hidden talent - for vampire slaying. Unfortunately for Mercy, the queen of the local vampire seethe has discovered her true identity. She's also furious when she learns Mercy has crossed her and killed one of her vampires. Mercy may be protected from direct reprisals by the werewolf pack (and her interesting relationship with its Alpha), but that just means Marsilia will come after Mercy some other way. So Mercy had better prepare to watch her back.

My Review:
Maybe it was just after the emotional hits of book #3 that this book didn't 'quite' live up to where I wanted it to go. Don't take me wrong...it was very, very good. But for the events that happened in it, I expected a more emotional impact from me as the reader. This book finally had that thing we've been waiting for, but I felt a little let down as so much of the really intense stuff happened off the page. And I know that's a bit vague, but I don't want to post spoilers. But there are two HUGE, major events that happen in this book and we only find out about them afterward in a passive narrative. *insert sad face here* As a fan that's followed Mercy and her struggles with accepting Adam and the pack for 4 books, this was most definitely a letdown for me. 

There is also a story line in this book that involves a child. That right there is usually a key emotional trigger for me that will engage me more in a story emotionally. I don't know if it was because this child was deaf, but I didn't feel that connection with his character like I felt I should. 

But on the surface everything about this book should have made it one of the better ones. Stefan is back, but he's been tortured almost to the point of death (in vampiric terms) by his Mistress. And there are all kinds of new complications for Mercy and him with the vampires and between their relationship. But again, something happens at the end to negate that and I wish it hadn't happened because I like the idea of that complication long-term. I also love Stefan and how he is such a good guy even when he doesn't see it. 

This story also revealed more in the terms of the gifts that all the supernatural races have. There are lots of new things that Mercy learns in this book...even about her own Walker gifts...that made this book fun just in the new levels of intrigue it revealed. There wasn't much of the pack in this book and I missed them. They're there, but not as much as normal. And who knew...I really missed Ben. I've really come to love his character. I hope he shows up more in the next few books. 

While I didn't feel this one was quite up to the level of the other books in the series so far, I still loved it. And I still love Mercy. She continues to be a tough character worthy of having a whole series following her. 

No comments: