Thursday, September 4, 2014

Wanted: Wild Thing by Jessica Sims

Title: Wanted: Wild Thing
Author: Jessica Sims
My Rating: A


Genre: Paranormal Romace
Series: Midnight Liaisons #4
Main Characters: Ryder and Hugh
Release Date: August 2014
Publisher: Pocket Books
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
The final book in a romance series set in a “fun, sexy world” (USA TODAY), where paranormals seek love through a dating service called Midnight Liaisons.

Ryder is hiding a dark secret from her coworkers at Midnight Liaisons. Every time she’s sexually attracted to a man, her dragon side breaks through. Not exactly man-bait! But she needs to lose her virginity before her twenty-fifth birthday, or she’ll become a dragon forever.

Her solution? Big, hunky Hugh, the appointed guardian of her chastity. He’s clearly hot for her, but he has powerful reasons to resist Ryder. Can temptation—and love—possibly find a way?

My Review:
While I already own a couple of the books from this series, they've been languishing in my to-be-read pile. I need to dig them out, because I thoroughly enjoyed this story. And note: All these books work completely fine as stand-alones. 

In this book, Ryder is a virginal changeling. She was told that on her 25th birthday, if she hasn't found the perfect man to take her virginity, then her "monster" (her natural form) will become her permanent one. In the meantime, if she tries to have sex with a guy who's not the "right one" then the monster will take over. Not exactly the easiest way for a girl to get laid. But Ryder has made the best of her life and virginity. Although her other side is a horned, tailed, dark, scaly mess, she works hard to stay blond, pink, and perky and smiley the rest of the time. It was a dichotomy that made me laugh a bit.

In an interesting twist of fate, the hero in this story, Hugh, is a virgin too. He's from a hidden fae land and is basically a prehistoric shapeshifter who's never been around women or anything remotely modern...ever. And he's Ryder's constant companion and body guard for the next month. Hmm...throw two virgins together and what do you think is going to happen? Yeah...hehe.

This story made me smile...over and over as I read it. I loved how big and rough Hugh is especially compared to sweet little Ryder. But what I loved even more about Hugh is that he doesn't care that Ryder turns into this scary looking creature. That's just part of her and he accepts her completely. I loved watching them fumble into a relationship together. I liked how Ryder wasn't able to put up her fake happy facade around Hugh. He saw the real her in every way possible. 

The story is fun and entertaining. Hugh is awkward and stiff, but still stays lovable...eventually. His character had an arc of development that really worked for me. I enjoyed the set-up of the story and I liked Ryder with all of her contrasts. Now I just need to go back and read the other 3 books in the series. Time to make a dent in that tbr...

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: