Saturday, September 6, 2014

Mark Cooper Versus America by Lisa Rock and J.A. Rock


Title: Mark Cooper Versus America
Author: Lisa Henry and J.A. Rock
My Rating: A-


Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m)
Series: Prescott College #1
Main Characters: Mark and Deacon
Release Date: January 2014
Publisher: Loose ID
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:

Mark Cooper is angry, homesick, and about to take his stepdad’s dubious advice and rush Prescott College’s biggest party fraternity, Alpha Delta Phi. Greek life is as foreign to Aussie transplant Mark as Pennsylvania’s snowstorms and bear sightings. So, when the fraternity extends Mark a bid, Mark vows to get himself kicked out by the end of pledge period. But then he’s drawn into Alpha Delt’s feud with a neighboring fraternity.

Studious Deacon Holt is disappointed to learn Mark’s pledging Alpha Delt, his fraternity Phi Sigma Kappa’s sworn enemy. Mark is too beautiful for Deacon to pass up an invitation for sex, but beyond sex, Deacon’s not sure. He wants a relationship, but a difficult family situation prevents him from pursuing anything beyond his studies.


Mark and Deacon’s affair heats up as the war between their fraternities escalates. They explore kinks they didn’t know they had while keeping their liaison a secret from their brothers. But what Romeo and Juliet didn’t teach these star-crossed lovers is how to move beyond sex and into a place where they share more than a bed. That’s something they’ll have to figure out on their own—if the friction between their houses, and between Mark and America, doesn’t tear them apart.
My Review:
This is one of those books that's been on my radar ever since it came out just because I love the two authors. But it was about a college student and a frat and I have to be in the right mood to read that kind of setting...really, young guys. When one of my blogger friends pushed me, I finally grabbed it. 

The book features young main characters and has immature guys doing stupid stuff. Believe me, Mark Cooper points that out constantly. But it was a book where I found myself smiling over and over again at the two main characters. I loved Deacon's "angry bunny" thoughts and Mark's irrational fear of bears in the woods of Pennsylvania. I loved how Aussie Mark couldn't handle the cold winter of PA and his sweet, vulnerable homesickness for Australia. There are sweet emotional family moments, unbelievable college hazing moments, and romantic sweet moments between the two heroes that make all the rest of it bearable. I loved the romeo and juliet moments and the newly discovered kink that the two guys found through the hazing. (I don't usually enjoy books that have that particular kink in them, but these two guys were both so astounded, aroused, and embarrassed by it, that I couldn't help but love them for it....another sweet, vulnerable moment with the characters.) 

There was so much about this book that made it sweet and fun to read. I'll admit it took me a bit to really get into it, but the last 25% was so incredibly good that it more than made up the slow start for me. I definitely enjoyed the book and am so glad that I did finally read it. It was one of those that made me happier for having read it. 


No comments: