Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Light Up the Night by M.L. Buchman


Title: Light Up the Night 
Author: M.L. Buchman
My Rating: B

Genre: Military Romance 
Series: The Night Stalkers #5
Main Characters: Tricia and Bill
Release Date: September 2014
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy


Story Overview:
Trisha O’Malley rebelled against her affluent family by joining the U.S. Army’s secret helicopter regiment, the 160th SOAR. Now a Chief Warrant Officer, she found her toughest fight yet in the pilot’s seat of an MH-6M attack helicopter.

William Wallace Bruce is an undercover CIA agent who doesn’t trust the military. But when the Horn of Africa is threatened by Somali pirates, Trisha flies out to recover ships and hostages…including one very ungrateful Will. He’s furious about being rescued by the very group he despises. But with their lives on the line, it’s team up and survive, or...

My Review:
I've been a fan of this series from the very beginning. The technical aspects in this one did get a bit too much this time, but that could have just been my mood because I've enjoyed the technical aspect in the other books. Regardless, I just got where I was just scanning that part of the story because the romance in this one was fantastic. 

Bill is a SEAL. He comes into contact with the NightStalkers when they are called in to rescue hostages from Somali pirates. Bill has been embedded undercover with the pirates for several months, but his mission is about to go to crap when Trisha saves him in her Little Bird helicopter. He's not exactly happy with the rescue since it blows his cover and that was before he discovered that it was a woman doing the rescuing. 

Like all the Night Stalkers, Trisha is an incredible helicopter pilot, but she's new to the group and has some things to learn about teamwork. She's always been the best and reacts that way. But now in a team where they are all that good, she needs to react as part of the team so that they all perform better. It's an adjustment for her. Trisha was a complex character. She grew up as a very wealthy Bostonite, but chose to run with a gang and live on the street rather than deal with her parents. As a result, she's an interesting mix of really tough girl socialite. 

I loved these two characters together and loved how we got to know their families and backgrounds in the story. I loved how they react to one another and just how good both of them are at reading other people. Bill's knowledge when Trisha gets shot gave me goosebumps. They were simply right together. I also enjoyed the fact that this book took place on an almost deserted ship...it created an interesting ambience to the story. And I've said it before, any of these books where Michael makes an appearance is good in my view. I love the connection between him and Trisha. 

This is also an amazing book in that it spotlights the mission in Mogadishu that went so wrong twenty plus years ago. My husband was in the Air Force and was part of the responding mission to that incident, which was my first deployment as a military spouse sitting at home watching the horror on CNN. I liked that the book brought it to light again, because those men that lost their lives and were wounded sacrificed so much. They deserve to be honored and not forgotten. Mistakes were made and good men lost everything because of it, but this book brings hope (even in a fictional world) that those mistakes were learned to save other lives later. It's hard to believe that country continues to be such an incredible hotbed of international crimes. Hopefully, someday that will change. 

I was worried because the epilogue of this book was written like it was a final book in the series...with a glimpse of everyone from the past stories, but I was happy to see on Amazon earlier today that there is another book listed as coming soon in this series. Yay! I love the Night Stalkers and still have hope that Michael will find his HEA soon, too!

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: