Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Jilted by Rachael Johns

This book needs an introduction because I have a long history with this one. I first reviewed JILTED by Rachael Johns on June 2, 2012. When she asked me to review it, she didn't realize I wasn't in Australia and when I read it, I didn't realize it wasn't going to be available in the US. I was devastated because although the book takes place in Australia, everything about the story resonated with me and my life in West Texas. I adored the book!!

I immediately began hounding Rachael about how to get it in the US and she didn't know what to tell me. BUT it was published by the Australian Harlequin branch so it just made sense that they could publish it here too. I spent a little bit of time and wrote a few letters to the HQN US editors telling them that they needed to look at this book for publication here.



It's finally here. I have no idea how much I truly influenced that, although Rachael gives me a bit of credit. But honestly, this book is being published in the US because it's just that good!! I hope you all will give it a chance and fall in love with it as much as I did. 

In 2012, I read 456 books. This one was in my TOP 10 for the year. 

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!!!
Title: Jilted
Author: Rachael Johns
My Rating: A++



Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: -
Main Characters: Ellie and Flynn
Release Date: September 2014
Publisher: Harlequin
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: mild





Story Overview:
She left him at the altar, but her heart was always his...

After more than ten years away, Australian soap star Ellie Hughes returns to the small country town of Hope Junction, determined to remain anonymous while caring for her injured godmother, Matilda.

But word spreads fast in the tight-knit community. It isn’t long before the people of Hope’s are gossiping about the real reason for Ellie’s visit and why she broke the heart of golden boy Flynn Quartermaine all those years ago. 

Soon Ellie and Flynn are thrown back together again, forced to deal with the unresolved emotions between them. For Ellie is not the only one with secrets. Flynn has his own demons to battle, and Matilda is hiding something from her much-loved goddaughter. 

When all is uncovered, can the ill-fated lovers overcome the wounds of their past? Or is Flynn destined to be jilted again? 


My Review:
(reposted review from June 2, 2012)
A++ 
This begins my official campaign to get this book printed in the US and worldwide. I enjoyed one of Rachael Johns books earlier in the year, so she contacted me to see if I would like to read and review Jilted. I love contemporary romance and this had a fun premise so I jumped on it. I expected cute and fun. I did not expect deeply emotional, beautiful, and so well-written that I could feel my pulse rate raise and lower as the story had its highs and lows. This book has everything.

Ten years ago, Flynn and Ellie were on the precipice of their Happily Ever After when her world came crumbling down. She left him at the altar and neither one of them has ever recovered. Neither one of them has ever had to see each other again since then either. But now, Ellie's godmother (and truly mother in every sense of the word) has gotten hurt, so Ellie has come home to help her during her recovery. It's painful, it's heart-wrenching, and OMG, it was the best love story ever.

Flynn grew up in this small town. He's their golden boy, so when Ellie left him at the altar, she messed with the town too and they aren't so willing to forgive. Coming home for Ellie is hard in so many ways, but she grits through it and is so strong when she just wants to sit down and cry. I adored her character. She knows that she completely messed things up and is willing to accept the ostracism because of that. But even more amazing, the first person to forgive her in the town is Flynn. 

There were so many highs and lows through this book as  Ellie and Flynn work through their emotions. The heart-wrenching part of it all is that they both truly love each other and there was never a moment when that changed for either one of them over the last ten years.

For his part, Flynn was devastated ten years ago. It honestly took him two years before he even began to get over the hurt of Ellie leaving him. He absolutely does NOT trust her with his heart again. The issue for him though is that he can't find it in his heart to love anyone else and he really wants a family.  They're both stuck, although neither of them realizes it until they see each other again.

This is a fantastic book about small-town life. Even though it took place in Australia, there was never a moment that I couldn't relate to it. It's definitely quintessential small-town life. I live in ranch country in Texas and so much of the life/events in this book absolutely resonated as true in any small ranching community/town. It truly is a beautiful book with such incredible themes....love, forgiveness, family, happiness. I loved it and hope that all my friends get a chance to fall in love with it too. We NEED this published in the US and I NEED a print copy of it on my bookshelf because I plan to read this one over and over and over again.

I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.




No comments: