Monday, August 4, 2014

Swan Prince by Erin Lark

Title: Swan Prince
Author: Erin Lark
My Rating: B-


Genre: Paranormal Romance (m/m)
Series: -
Main Characters: Oliver and Bastion
Release Date: August 2014
Publisher: Entangled
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot



Story Overview:
Trapped between his royal heritage and swan shifter status, Oliver doesn't pay close attention during his flock's winter migration, and gets caught in the crosshairs of a trigger-happy hunter.
 
Careening toward the ground with no place to go, Oliver submits to his human form. As his swan's feathers recede, he seeks shelter in an old barn.
 
Bastion's spent the better part of his adult life caring for a bunch of bullheaded stallions, but this is the first time he's ever found a naked and gorgeous man in one of his stalls. When he asks the man his name, he doesn't get a reply. Without a wallet or a voice to tell him who this stranger is, Bastion takes Oliver in, clothes him and tends to a mysterious wound.
 
Oliver has nowhere else to go. Bastian is in a bind after firing a farmhand who would much rather call in sick than do his job. When passion flares, can Bastion and Oliver overcome their differences, or will this swan prince fly south?


My Review:
I couldn't resist grabbing this book for review when I saw that it was an m/m romance featuring a wounded swan shifter. Swans...I think this is a first for shifter novels (at least that I know about.)

This book entirely focuses on two men...Bastion and Oliver. Oliver is a swan trying to catch up to his flock who are flying south for the winter when he's shot by a hunter. He ends up in Bastion's horse barn where Bastion finds him in the middle of a snowstorm. Wounded naked man asleep in his hay who can't talk...can you imagine? But Bastion is a pretty laidback guy so he doesn't question it too much. Besides Oliver can't answer so it doesn't do any good to continue to question him. 

Bastion runs a horse ranch that's fairly secluded...an hour away from anything, so it's really just the two of them throughout the story. They form a friendship and alliance while Oliver heals. 

I liked the overall story. I enjoy animal shifters so it was interesting to read one with a completely different animal. I liked Oliver's connection with Kiba, Bastion's troublesome horse. I liked that the story took place on a remote horse farm. It showed Bastion's connection to animals and worked for when Oliver was in his swan form. 

Throughout 90%-95% of the book Oliver is either mute or in swan form. While they work out somewhat a method of communication, I think I would have enjoyed the book a LOT better without the mute story line. It's not like Oliver would have volunteered the information that he was actually a swan any earlier if he'd been able to talk. Their connection through the feather would have worked in either case. I personally didn't see the need for it and for me, it interfered with the men's connection. 

There was one thing that bothered me throughout the story. Oliver is mute throughout much of it so the only way to get to know him is through his thoughts. The story goes deep mental POV for both men and there were times that they just seemed a little too emotional for men. That's a fine line that's hard to balance with men and romance. I think this book, because of the situation with Oliver being mute and spending so much time in his  head, he lost some of his masculinity. There were a few times that his thoughts just seemed over the top emotionally and that took me out of the story when I paused to question it. I don't think it would have been an issue without the mute story line and I would have enjoyed the book a great deal more. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

No comments: