Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Crave the Night by Lara Adrian

Title: Crave the Night  
Author: Lara Adrian
My Rating: B+

Genre: Paranormal Romance 
Series: Midnight Breed #12
Main Characters: Nathan and Jordana
Release Date: August 2014
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot




Story Overview:
Born and raised to be an emotionless killing machine, Nathan is one of the most lethal Breed vampires in existence. A key member of the Order—an elite group of warriors charged with protecting both mortals and vampires—Nathan executes each mission with flawless precision and a total lack of mercy. Now he must pursue a powerful, hidden enemy. But Nathan’s hard discipline and training are no match for the fierce pull he feels toward a young woman he has no right to desire—a woman of wealth and high social standing who has long been promised to another Breed male, and who may also prove to be the key to rooting out Nathan’s elusive quarry.

Jordana lives a life of glittering privilege as a member of a prominent Breed family in Boston. Surrounded by fine things and fawning admirers, Jordana wants for nothing—until she crosses paths with a dark, intense warrior from the Order and finds herself swept into an impulsive, sizzling kiss that neither of them will forget. As much as she tries to deny her deep feelings for Nathan, Jordana cannot resist the craving to be near him, to break through his forbidding walls and see the man he truly is. But getting close to Nathan will thrust Jordana into a treacherous new world, forcing her to risk all she has and all she knows about herself and her past. And loving this seductive man could be the most dangerous temptation of all.


My Review:
Twenty years after the original series...that still messes with me when I'm reading these books, especially since the Breed don't age. LOL. 

But this book featured Nathan, who was just 13 when he came into the series as a mentally tortured and scarred hunter, even then. But like Hunter did when he came into the series, Nathan has learned to adapt to life as one of the Order, even if he still can't handle physical or emotional contact. 

His heroine is Jordana. Jordana runs an art museum with the aid of Carys, one of the Breed twins. Yeah, it's a bit difficult to keep track of two generations worth of characters and who's related to who. I need to build a flow chart/family tree with book synopsis so I can keep track of who everyone is now. 

There is a new twist in this new series...the Atlantians. Their presence was discovered in the last book when they tried to assassinate the leaders of the Order. Now they are hunting down leads to try to figure out what all this means and that story gets heavily woven into Jordana's story.

I liked the moments between Jordana and Nathan. He's so sure that she'd be better off without him, but he seriously can't help himself around her. I loved watching him lose his finely honed control. This is a guy who's been taught since he could walk how to hide his emotions and reactions. To see him completely unraveled by her was fabulous. I liked their romantic story and I enjoyed her personal story. I wish the suspense about that had been built up a little better. For some reason, I guessed pretty much immediately what was happening there and it took something away from the overall story for me. 

The other thing about this new series...it just seems to lack a little bit of umph. I plan on reading one more book in it and hope that the whole Atlantis twist will add more. As it is right now, I feel like we are simply going through a re-telling of the second generation's parents stories. It doesn't feel like a new book/story. The books certainly aren't bad...in fact, they are very entertaining. They just don't compare (so far) to their parents' stories and have so many similarities in the characters that I would simply rather re-read the originals. Like I said, I'll probably give the series one more book before I abandon it. There's just too much out there that I want to read and for me, 12 books may just be too many to commit to. I think I may be a 5-6 book series girl. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

1 comment:

Felicia S said...

I just downloaded the audiobook. This has been the first one of this series that I am not "on the edge of my seat" to read.