Thursday, July 10, 2014

Sanctuary by Kelly Apple


Title: Sanctuary
Author: Kelly Apple
My Rating: A

Genre: Post-Apocalyptic Romance 
Series: Stronghold #1 
Main Characters: Liss and Drew
Release Date: June 2014
Publisher: 
Links to Purchase
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: spicy


Story Overview:
When the dead become ravenous monsters, you either find the strength to survive or end up like them.

Liss and Drew had been acquaintances before they were trapped in the stairwell with the living dead outside. Now they had to depend on one another to stay alive.

With food scarce and safety even scarcer, the two have to make a choice: Leave their safe haven and find somewhere they can dig in for the long haul or let themselves die trapped in a place that seems to be getting smaller every day.

Drew has a plan, one that will give them a chance to survive. The question is… can he convince Liss to trust him and his plan before she’s too weak to outrun the zombies?

My Review:
This novella is short. I knew that going into reading it. So I started it LATE last night with the intention of getting about 20% into the story...just far enough to get excited about it...and then go to bed, because my mornings are filled with 10 minute pockets of time that I could use to finish it. Well, you know where this story is going right? This book...I read it...all of it using the "just one more chapter" mantra...until I hit the END which was way past my bedtime. 

This is a novella that takes place shortly after a "virus" has overtaken the world.  Drew and Liss worked together and had been attracted to one another before, but neither ever did anything about it. Then they found themselves trapped in a stairwell with zombies attacking...not exactly the time for romance when survival is at the top of the to-do list. But you know...adrenaline can make for a sexy aphrodisiac. 

I liked this intro into this new world that Kelly Apple is creating. It was short, but definitely not lacking. It jumps right into the action, several days after the two characters have gotten trapped in the stairwell. I liked that we got to see the events unfold through both characters' point of view because neither really knows the other well enough to see what all is going on with them emotionally. They may not realize it yet, but they are definitely on their way to something deeper between them. 

The action in the book is non-stop and even in this non-sexy world, Kelly Apple manages some definite sexy times. (I like that about her!) Like I said...when I started the book, I couldn't put it down. Liss and Drew are extremely like-able characters, but they have a normal, every-guy feel to them. It was easy to imagine myself in this world/circumstances. I needed to see them safe. 

And this book is definitely just the beginning. It's set up a fantastic zombie-filled adventure that I can't wait to see more of. This book doesn't take long to read, but it is well-worth reading. I cannot wait to read more!

No comments: