Monday, July 7, 2014

It Happened One Wedding by Julie James


Title: It Happened One Wedding 
Author: Julie James
My Rating: A


Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: FBI/US Attorney #5
Main Characters: Sidney and Vaughn
Release Date: May 2014
Publisher: Jove
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy


Story Overview:
SHE KNOWS BETTER THAN TO SAY “I DO”

After a humiliating end to her engagement, investment banker Sidney Sinclair is done with commitment-phobic men. But when her sister winds up engaged after a whirlwind courtship, she’s thrown in to close contact with exactly the kind of sexy playboy she wants to avoid—the gorgeous best man. She’s stuck with him, for better or worse, until her sister walks down the aisle, but that doesn’t mean she has to give in to his smooth advances, no matter how tempting they are…

BUT HE MAKES IT HARD TO SAY “I DON’T”

Special Agent Vaughn Roberts always gets his man on the job and his woman in bed. So Sidney’s refusal to fall for his charms only makes him more determined to win over the cool and confident redhead. Only what starts out as a battle of wills ends up as a serious play for her heart. Because the one woman who refuses to be caught may be the only one Vaughn can’t live without…

My Review:

I was in a bit of a reading funk the night I picked up this book to read. It was the fourth book I started that night, but unlike the others, this one completely captured my attention. One thing I've learned about Julie James' writing...I can ALWAYS count on it being superb and right on for my reading tastes. I do love her books and this one was once again, perfection.

Vaughn...I do love him and his man-whorish ways especially since he is so non-repentent about it. He's upfront with his women...he's not the guy to be in it for the long haul. He's just looking for a good time and if the girl is interested in having a bit of fun with him, then they are a go...temporarily. 

Sidney thought she could reform a player once and got her heart broken. She's learned her lesson and although Vaughn is smooth and charming, she's not buying into his game. She calls him on it in a not so flattering way when he hits on her...and they part ways on not so friendly terms. But that all happens before they realize they are about to become family. Vaughn's brother and Sidney's sister are getting married and as best man and maid of honor, the two have to spend a lot of time together...being friendly. 

I loved the set-up for this book. That opening scene in the coffee shop was simply perfect. There are so many scenes in this book that are perfect. After finishing it there were single lines that kept going through my mind that made me smile...there's one particular scene later in the book that kills me because it's the first inkling that things are changing for Vaughn and his lines as Sidney is trying to discuss her dating issues are just so perfect. 

Julie James has always written intelligent, fun, snarky books and this one was right up there with her best. The dialogue was fabulous. Both Sidney and Vaughn have some great lines in this book that kept me giggling and smiling throughout the whole book. I liked the bits we got to see of his undercover work with the FBI, although I have to admit I expected things to get a bit dicy-er in that situation than they did. I also really enjoyed both characters relationships with their siblings. 

Once again Julie James wrote a book worthy of my keeper shelf for later re-reads. I can't wait for more...maybe with Tyler the hunky attorney we met in this one??



No comments: