Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Fanning the Flames by Victoria Dahl



Title: Fanning the Flames
Author: Victoria Dahl
My Rating: A

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: Jackson Girl's Night Out #.5
Main Characters: Lauren and Jake
Release Date: July 2014
Publisher: Harlequin 
Links to Purchase
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: hot



Story Overview:
Burning for you
Some men are off-limits. Close friends of your ex-husband, for instance. Or firefighters who work in the same building as you. Yet despite her best judgment, librarian Lauren Foster can't help noticing fire captain Jake Davis whenever he jogs by…shirtless. They've always been friends, but all it takes is one not-so-chance meeting at a local bar and one not-quite-innocent walk home to ignite a fierce, uncontrollable desire between them.
Widower Jake Davis has tried to ignore the spark he feels whenever Lauren's around, but once he sees her curves in a little black dress, there's no turning back. No matter how often she says she's all wrong for him, the sexy, outspoken divorcée is driving him wild in the best possible way. Maybe she's just blowing off steam. Or maybe he can convince her to fan these flames into something deeper, hotter and truer than they ever expected….
My Review:
This is just a novella, but it totally and completely worked for me. Part of the reason was...well, actually most of the reason...was simply the characters: Jake and Lauren. But especially Lauren. I loved that they were both in their 40's. Jake is 46; Lauren is 43. But they are so completely real. Seriously, if I was a divorcee, Lauren could be me. I completely and totally related to her and the issues that she is going through and feeling. I LOVED her!

The set-up once again takes place in Jackson, Wyoming, but Victoria Dahl has changed her main venue in this new series...to the library. LOVE! But this isn't any old dusty library...no, this one is housed right next door to the fire department. Um, yeah, I can totally get behind this idea! Jake is the fire chief and Lauren has noticed him...big time, especially since he tends to do his daily runs without a shirt on. The problem...they've known each other forever. They were friends as couples when his wife was still alive and her husband was still on the scene so moving things to a new level between them is a bit awkward...and this is the time for alcohol. ;)

I really did love all the aspects of this story. It felt real and I loved the chemistry between Jake and Lauren. They are human and there are a few scenes in this book that were laugh out loud funny. When Lauren has her soliloquy at the end of the book, I was simply nodding my head 'yes'...every single thing she said there...yes, that women is me in another life. I loved at how easy it was to relate to her. Victoria Dahl created a character who absolutely epitomizes women in their 40's and I love her for it!

It is a short book, but it's the intro into the new series and the next book features one of the other librarians so I'm thrilled that we should continue to see more of Lauren and Jake. Loved, LoVeD, LOVED this one!!

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: