Thursday, June 26, 2014

Until We Touch by Susan Mallery


Title: Until We Touch
Author: Susan Mallery
My Rating: B

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: Fool's Gold #15
Main Characters: Jack and Larissa
Release Date: June 2014
Publisher: Harlequin Mira
Links to Purchase
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
After a family tragedy, former football hero Jack McGarry keeps the world at arm's length—a challenge now that his PR firm has moved to neighborly Fool's Gold, California. 

Larissa Owens knows where she stands—Jack sees her as just another one of the guys. No matter what her heart wishes, Jack's her boss, not her boyfriend. But then Larissa's big secret is revealed…by her mother! 

When Jack discovers the truth about Larissa's feelings, her touch suddenly becomes tantalizing, and he's not sure he wants to resist. But if he gives in to desire, heartache is sure to follow. Friendship or true love—will Jack go for the ultimate play?

My Review:
Jack and Larissa...I have been looking forward to their story ever since they were introduced as characters in Fool's Gold. They just have such an interesting relationship. Basically, they share every single part of married life without the sex. They rely on one another, hang out together, and are as close as any friends could be. But when Larissa's mom suggest that Larissa is in love with him, it throws everything out of whack...for both of them. 

I like stories with set-ups like this...friends-to-lovers...simply because the characters already know how compatible they are. If they weren't, they wouldn't be friends. Jack is a former NFL quarterback and Larissa is his personal assistant and masseuse. She keeps Jack functioning in the world and he supports her many charities and rescues. As a guy who learned early not to connect with people, theirs is the perfect partnership. She cares so he doesn't have to. 

Jack's backstory really broke my heart. Jack was the "lucky" twin. The one born healthy...really healthy...did you catch he was a pro athlete? When he was 17, his twin brother died of heart failure after a lifetime of sickness and surgery. But Jack didn't just lose his brother. He lost his parents too as they basically abandoned him at that point. He reminded them of his brother they lost and as the healthy one about to go to college, he was fine on his own. He basically lost his entire family in a few weeks time...and never recovered emotionally from it. He learned to never ever connect and get his emotions involved...something that has worked for him most of his life...until Fool's Gold. 

In the midst of Larissa and Jack's developing relationship, there were several other stories happening on the side. Taryn was working on deciding wedding details and I loved all that story line esp. since she and Jack were married first. They have a phenomenal friendship after that and I loved the scenes with them pertaining to her wedding to Angel. Everything about that side of the story worked for me. 

Larissa is also continuing her rescuing ways and there's an 18 yo who comes into play in this book. I wanted more with Percy. His story was great and I would have been thrilled if his scenes had gone a bit deeper especially with Jack...I wish that things had been developed a bit more there because there was definitely a lot more that could have been done with that story line, but I have a feeling we'll see more of Percy in the future. 

Overall, it was another decent installment to the Fool's Gold series. 

I will tell you that up until the very end of this book, it was a high 4* or 5* rating, but the hero's actions at the end lowered that and I honestly debated giving this only 3*. I don't always agree with characters and could have overlooked it if it had been just that. But Jack's actions at the end of this book simply didn't make sense to me...they were so out of character, I had a really hard time with it and it literally took me out of the story and made me question the author. I still don't understand the why's of the extreme drama at the end when he was never self destructive before and then to let it go on for over 3 weeks...nope, that was TOO out of character for me to accept it.  

The set-up for next year's books is beginning to develop and I am really excited about those coming stories. There are some great characters moving into Fool's Gold. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: