Monday, June 2, 2014

Cooking Up Love by Amylynn Bright


Title: Cooking Up Love
Author: Amylynn Bright
My Rating: A

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: -
Main Characters: Holly and Mark
Release Date: June 2014
Publisher: Carina Press
Links to Purchase
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
Is there anything more pathetic than a food critic who can’t cook? That’s Holly Darcy—secret socialite, wannabe author, lousy chef and “The Covert Connoisseur.” Feeling like a fraud for critiquing restaurants when she can’t boil a pot of water, Holly joins a cooking class for beginners…and quickly cooks up serious chemistry with the sexy instructor.

Mark Bennett was born to be a chef, but his foray into restaurant ownership fell far short of his dreams thanks to a scathing review from The Covert Connoisseur. Now teaching is the closest he will venture into a kitchen. Luckily the job comes with an unexpected perk: the attraction simmering between him and a curvy, clever writer with pinup-girl looks.
Flirting over pasta soon leads to passionate kisses and a sizzling relationship. But how can Holly be honest about her job when Mark blames his restaurant’s failure on her review? And when Holly’s secret is exposed, how will Mark be able to forgive her for ruining his life?
My Review:
I picked up this book on a whim from NetGalley. I've never read the author before, but enjoy chef themed romances and this one was really fun. I loved the twist of a restaurant reviewer who is a complete catastrophe in the kitchen. And I did love Holly and her shoe collection.

Now, if you didn't do so before, go back and read the story description because this story is really a good one. Mark's dream has always been to own a restaurant. He thought he'd achieved it, but bad timing on a scathing review and he lost everything...including his will to do anything with his dream again. Now he's working construction for his brother and teaching night cooking classes at the local community college. He won't even discuss working in a kitchen again. Because of one reviewer, he lost everything including his confidence and ability to work in the kitchen. And Mark has no idea that Holly is that reviewer that he hates so much.

No one knows who Holly is and in her defense, she doesn't realize who she is to Mark for a good bit of the book. His restaurant failing is a sore spot that he doesn't discuss...so it takes a while to realize that she's that reviewer who he blames for everyone. By the time that happens, she's emotionally involved.

There are so many points and details about this book that I love. I love everything about the background of the story. I love how helpless and downright dangerous Holly is in the kitchen. The fact that she has FIVE fire extinguishers in her kitchen...so funny...and that she is fully aware and still wants to learn makes her admirable in so many ways. And honestly, you can't talk about this book without discussing Holly's shoes. They sound fabulous. I'm a shoe girl, but this book makes me want to embrace that even more. And I adore that Mark developed a shoe fetish because of it. The scenes with them and the shoes are so sexy and so fun! 

Seriously, this is just a book that I flat-out enjoyed. It was happy. It was entertaining. There were the perfect levels of emotion. This is one of those books that makes me sad that Carina doesn't do more print because I'd love to have this on my keeper shelf. This is a great book to read when you are in need of a happy pick-me-up. I challenge you to read it and not leave with a smile on your face...and probably a need to go shoe-shopping too. How much are a pair of Manolo Blahnik shoes??

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: