Friday, May 23, 2014

Stay With Me by S.E. Harmon


Title: Stay With Me
Author: S.E. Harmon
My Rating: A+

Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m) 
Series: -
Main Characters: Mac and Jordan
Release Date: April 2014
Publisher: Dreamspinner
Links to Purchase
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
Private investigator Mackenzie Williams’s newest client is everything he’s looking for in a guy—charming, beautiful, intelligent, and successful. There's only one itty bitty problem—the guy’s not exactly gay. In fact, Jordan Channing is looking for a PI to follow his fiancée. The smart thing would be to thank Jordan for his time, turn Mr. Perfect away (don’t let the door hit you on the rump, thank you very much), and forget he exists.

Of course, Mackenzie has never been accused of doing the smart thing. Being smart aleck is more his MO. Relationships aren’t up his alley, never have been. So why’s he so inexplicably drawn to his new client?

Jordan has always been the high achiever, a man who lives in a focused, controlled, and carefully constructed manner. But for the first time in his life, he has to admit the impossible—another man is getting his engine running on all cylinders. Despite Jordan’s denial, it’s not long before he can no longer resist the strong undercurrents pulling them together. Now Jordan must decide if he can go against everything he’s ever known to have the only love he’s ever wanted.

My Review:

I bought this book on a high recommendation from another trusted reader friend who knows my tastes. I will admit, I wasn't so sure at first. It took me about 10-15% into the book before I really began to get attached to Mac, but then something happened. I fell in love with his character. And Mac is an amazing character.

The entire book is told from Mac's POV and his pov is more than a little twisted and sarcastic. Did I mention that I love him? Mac is a normal guy who knows he's not perfect, is totally able to see his flaws, and is well aware of when he's being an idiot which happens to be a lot of the time. He's an ex-cop who became a PI after he screwed up his leg too much to be a cop anymore. He's had a long line of ex-lovers and really isn't so sure that he believes in love. His mom left his dad and her two boys at a young age. Dad never recovered. Mac lost his faith in true love. 

But the problem is, while he doesn't really believe in the fairy tale of love, he still really, really wants to have it in his life. But because he knows it won't ever last, he has a tendency to blow up any chance he has at finding that real thing. And then Jordan comes into his life...another emotionally unavailable guy for Mac because he's um...really straight. But when the two are together, they just flow right. I loved the scenes with these guys. Their banter and easy manner with each other is just perfect and I needed them to make it work even when I began to think it was never going to happen. 

This is a book that moved me emotionally in so many different directions. I literally laughed out loud on one page and then three pages later had tears rolling down my cheeks. I loved Mac because he felt so real, so honest. He's just a guy who wants someone to love, to share his life with. And he's one of those guys...his snark and his need for junk food and a single cigarette and his love for his junkie old Bessie. I loved him. The scene with him mountain biking then finding out that Ben&Jerry's nearby was classic Mac and I loved it. 

I loved this book. I read it in Kindle format, but I will definitely be buying a copy of it in print for my keeper shelf. Yes, it's one of those. I will be re-reading and REALLY hope that this is the beginning of a new series. There were some great side characters who I'd love to see get their own books...Darcy, Drew, Asher, and yes, even Trevor I think. I loved this and am so excited to find this new to me author!

No comments: