Friday, May 2, 2014

Love Life & Circumstance by V.L. Moon & J.T. Cheyanne


Title: Love Life & Circumstance
Author: V.L. Moon & J.T. Cheyanne
My Rating: A

Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m)
Series: -
Main Characters: Seth and Elijah
Release Date: July 2013
Publisher: Laz & Lachi Publications
Links to Purchase
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: hot




Story Overview:
Born the son of a preacher man, Elijah Deacon always conformed to his father’s strict religious teachings. He worked hard, devoting his time and energy to the family owned construction firm, leaving little time to focus on the deplorable state of his private life. Small town America was no place to be when all a man craved was the touch of another man. Elijah hid his sexuality and tried in vain to convince himself he could be happy with a woman. Urged on by the dream of having the family he craved, Elijah couldn’t know a drunken one night stand would see him pay the ultimate price.

Leaving the bright lights of Atlanta and placing his own life on hold, paralegal, Seth Jacobs, moved to Alabama hopeful that with a baby on the way, his twin sister Bethany would settle down. His older sister by five minutes, she gave him the confidence he needed while growing to come out and be proud of who he was. It was his turn to return the support. On arrival in Headland, Seth endeavored to make her see the dangers her behavior presented to her and her unborn child. But, to no avail.



When destiny deals a cruel blow, and the life of a newborn baby hangs by a thread, Seth and Elijah are flung together to deal with the tragic circumstances. The grief threatens to consume them, while joy and fear work to unite them. Jealousy, love, lies and bitter truths rise to the surface and threaten to tear them apart. Can the powers of love and life bring them together and heal the loneliness that death leaves behind? Or will circumstance prevail and fuel the embers of love that draw them together?
My Review:
I keep debating back and forth between giving this one an A or an A+ rating. It was such a good book which brought me to tears several times. (Why did it sit on my kindle so long before I read it?!?!)

And I will tell you right up front...I bought this book so long ago, I didn't really remember the description of the story so the twist 23% into it took me totally by surprise. OMG, I literally gasped when I realized exactly where the story was going...such a delicious twist. I love it when authors do stuff like that. Fate in love stories is such an incredible, amazing thing.

And there is so much about this book that is truly about fate. These two men that are so perfect together and need each other so much drawn together by such heartbreaking tragic circumstances....it makes for an incredibly emotional book. Do I think it would ever work like this in the real world? No, but that's why I read books...I enjoy the (sometimes fantastical) escape of it all. And this book worked for me completely on that level. Note: you have to kind of go into this one with an ability to suspend some disbelief, but if you can do that it's worth it and you will find an emotional, heartfelt story that definitely pulls at your heartstrings. 

Seth and Elijah are the two heroes in this book and they have so much more in common than this single tragic accident. They are also two gay men left completely alone in the world...and this one little baby that survives ties them together. It's appropriate that Hope was her name and I loved how much time the book spent with the two of them in the NICU unit with her. Seriously, those moments were hands-down the most heartwarming about this story. I liked the guys together and I liked how their sexual chemistry was explosive, but what sold me on this book was their gentleness and sweet moments with baby Hope. 

The friends, the circumstances...both a little over the top, but I still managed to fall completely into these characters and the trauma of their lives. I fell in love with them as they bonded into a cohesive unit to make their own family and loved almost every minute of it. And yes, I'll admit, I shed a few tears throughout this one too. It's just that kind of story. Lots of emotion, lots of passion, and yes, lots of angst. But it worked for me. I liked it...a LOT!

1 comment:

VL Moon said...

I'm beyond thrilled that you enjoyed Seth and Elijah's story Christi. Thank you so much for the lovely review.