Thursday, May 22, 2014

Finding Release by Silvia Violet

Title: Finding Release
Author: Silvia Violet
My Rating: B

Genre: Paranormal Romance (m/m) 
Series: Wild R Farm #1
Main Characters: Cole and Jonah
Release Date: December 2012
Publisher: -
Links to Purchase
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Coleman Wilder is a half-breed werewolf. Some days the tension between his human side and his werewolf instincts threaten to tear him apart. But the challenge of running a horse farm as a gay man in a conservative Tennessee town keeps him focused until he meets horse shifter, Jonah Marks.

Jonah's family insists that shifting is sinful, but Jonah longs to let his stallion run free. Desperate to escape his family's judgment, he asks Cole, his secret crush, for a job. Cole turns him down, scared his desire for Jonah will make him lose control. When Jonah's brother threatens his life, Cole struggles to save him and give them both a second chance at the life they've always wanted.


My Review:
Shifter stories...I love them, but this is my first horse shifter and I liked the dichotomy between the two men...horse and wolf and how everything about their relationship goes against their animal instincts. But they work. 

Not only are the animal half's at odd, but the men are too. Jonah is young...only 18 when the story begins and compared to Cole's mid-thirties, Cole doesn't think he has any right to chase after Jonah. No matter how much he wants to. But he pays for that decision when Jonah disappears for a year and when he comes back abused and terrified, Cole can't refuse him anymore. 

Despite what should be a fairly dominant Cole simply because of his age and circumstance, I liked that Jonah is his own man. Never, besides just at first, did I feel like he was the younger, less dominant man. He pushes back against Cole when he doesn't like Cole's decisions. That made this dichotomy work for me when I don't think it would have otherwise. These guys have a true partnership and I liked that about their relationship. 

I also really enjoyed the entire horse ranch setting. It's an interesting twist to have a wolf shifter owning a horse ranch because the horses are so skittish around him...with the obvious exception of Jonah. 

Overall, I enjoyed the story and the setting. There were a few moments when the dialogue got a little too sugary and it pulled me out of the story, but I could overlook those for the most part. I liked the two main characters and a lot of the side characters on the ranch. It was definitely worth the read.

No comments: