Monday, May 19, 2014

Daylight Again by SE Jakes

Title: Daylight Again 
Author: SE Jakes
My Rating: A


Genre: Romantic Suspense 
Series: Hell or High Water #3
Main Characters: Prophet and Tom
Release Date: May 2014
Publisher: Riptide Publishing
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: erotic


Story Overview:
Before Prophet Drews can have a future, he must first put his past to rest.

Prophet Drews is a man on the edge, and he’s pulling Tom Boudreaux, his partner on the job and in real life, right over with him. When his old CO calls in a favor, Prophet asks Tom to join the off-the-grid rescue. But the mission raises all of Prophet’s old ghosts: CIA assassins, the terrorist Sadiq, and most importantly, John—traitor, former teammate, and Prophet’s first love.

To help bury those ghosts for good, Prophet and Tom gather the members of Prophet’s former SEAL team . . . and a spook named Cillian who’s been tailing Prophet for years. In the process, Prophet is forced to face his team’s shifting loyalties, ghosts who refuse to stay dead, and scariest of all, his own limitations.

With everyone’s lives in danger, Prophet and Tom must unravel a tangled knot of secrets, including their own. Prophet must decide how much to reveal to Tom, while Tom must decide how far he’s willing to go to help Prophet lay his ghosts to rest.
My Review:
Happy sigh...there's a reason this series is at the top of my favorites list and why I read these books almost immediately after receiving them. I love them so darn much! Seriously...you will not find two more complex characters and the associated complex relationship like Prophet and Tom have. But while it is very complex, I love that the author doesn't take the easy way out for providing conflict for the book because of their differences. Instead, she uses those to strengthen these two guys' relationship. I don't know why...but I expected things to go truly bad between Prophet and Tom in this one, but it didn't. Instead, we got a wonderful book where their relationship got even stronger despite all the hell breaking lose around them. I loved that aspect of the story. 

This is book #3 in this ongoing story arc featuring Prophet's old SEAL team and what happened to them 11 years ago. Like the other two books, this one revealed some new twists and turns that are shocking. I love it when I gasp aloud while reading a book and I think I do it at least once in every single SE Jakes book. The other thing that makes these books so good is the whole team camaraderie that show up in it. 

But as they get closer and closer to the truth, Prophet's PTSD is becoming worse and worse. Combined with the deterioration of his eyesight and the general stress of everything going on, he is not in a good place. But Tommy doesn't let him get away with his bs for long...and I did love him for that. Tommy and Prophet are so good together and this book showed that over and over again. Even though things are really difficult, the overall health of their relationship kept the book uplifted and in a good place. 

I continue to love these guys and this whole fictional world. I am so ready for more. Write faster, SE Jakes...and yes, I say that after every single book!

No comments: