Thursday, May 8, 2014

Blue Notes by Carrie Lofty

Title: Blue Notes
Author: Carrie Lofty
My Rating: A

Genre: New Adult 
Series: -
Main Characters: Keeley and Jude
Release Date: May 2014
Publisher: Gallery Books
Links to Purchase
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: spicy





Story Overview:
ALL DIGITAL EDITIONS $1.99 THRU RELEASE DATE!!

For fans of Jamie McGuire and S.C. Stephens, a sizzling new adult novel featuring the tumultuous relationship between a young piano prodigy and a reluctant billionaire playboy—set against the vibrant backdrop of a New Orleans college campus.

After being bounced from foster family to foster family, Keeley, a talented pianist, is ready to start over as a junior at Tulane. But when she plays a small concert that attracts the attention of Jude, a brooding playboy and heir to an enormous fortune in the wake of his parents’ tragic death, suddenly Keeley’s life is thrown off balance once again.

Jude is the first person to confront her about the pain behind her music, and she struggles with whether or not to let him into her life, or to keep protecting herself from the hurt that relationships have caused her in the past. But Keeley’s about to learn that the melancholy young billionaire who appears to have everything he wants can open her eyes to exactly what she needs…
My Review:
This book is just so beautifully written. I'm not much of a historical reader, so I've never read this author before (this is her debut contemporary novel), although I have heard of her as a historical writer. I'm not sure if it's that historical background or simply the author's writing style, but the imagery and the flow of the writing in this book was wonderful. It has an almost lyrical feel to it sometimes (very fitting since the book is about this incredible musician) and I really enjoyed it. I'm not normally a fan of really flowery, descriptive writing, but the author did it incredibly well in this story. 

And this book has such a good story. Keeley is a girl who had a horrific life until she turned 15 years old. At that point, everything turned around because her mother was dead, her father was in jail, and she was taken under the wing of an incredible foster couple who helped guide her and her recovery. Keeley discovered young that she connected with music, but she was never able to do it with her situation. But when things got better, she learned to channel all those emotions that were too much through her music and compositions. She's at Tulane on a music fellowship because she is so talented. 

That's where Jude discovers her. He's had his own set of tragedies and recoveries and is a guy who now is completely and fully in charge of his own life. Keeley attracts him and astounds him. In a world where everyone tells him yes, besides his 18 year old musical sister, Keeley tells him no. Not only does she tell him no, she tells him hell no. He's intrigued...by the girl and the way she emotes through music. In an interesting twist of fate, Keeley is also his little sister's mentor in the music program.

Everything about this book captured my heart. I loved the music and the way that the author explained how Keeley lives through her music. I could feel the notes float off the page with the expressiveness she used. Keeley is at once confident and confused. When she's in her music, there is nothing else happening in her world. It's her escape, her therapy, her life. She lives through her music and it's a beautiful thing to read and imagine. She is so alive when it comes to her music...I wanted a musical score to go with the book. My imagination isn't big enough to capture what she created, but just trying to imagine it felt magical and that's a powerful thing. It should be noted that I am NOT musical, at all. But that's what is so incredible about this book. I could feel her pent up emotions and energies float across the page. I definitely could understand Jude's complete and utter fascination with her. 

But there is Jude as a character too. Throughout most the book, I felt like I had a good handle on his character, but at the end there is a twist to him that shows his vulnerability. It took me completely by surprise, but I like it when books do that.

And then there were the other side characters that I fell in love with, too...Janie and Addie. Like I said, I just liked everything about this one. It had a great, really sexy romance, a fabulous setting and an incredible back-story. I hope that Carrie Lofty has plans to write more contemporary stuff, because I will be the first in line to read it if she does!

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: