Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Before We Kiss by Susan Mallery

Title: Before We Kiss
Author: Susan Mallery
My Rating: B+

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: Fool's Gold #14
Main Characters: Sam and Dellina
Release Date: May 2014
Publisher: Harlequin
Links to Purchase
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: hot






Story Overview:
New York Times bestselling sensation Susan Mallery returns to Fool's Gold, California, where it's true that sometimes you have to kiss a few frogs… 

Former pro-football kicker Sam Ridge has notoriously bad luck with women—from cheaters to fame chasers. Still, the gorgeous brunette at the bar in Fool's Gold looks harmless—until she takes him home and he discovers a room devoted to securing a man, for life. 

Dellina Hopkins never guessed that storing gowns from a friend's bridal boutique would chase away her first and only fling. After her parents died, she skipped her "wild youth" to raise her sisters. She doesn't want forever from Sam, but one night—all night—would've been nice. 

His clean getaway gets messy when his firm hires Dellina to plan an event. As long hours lead to late nights, the two succumb to temptation again. Has Sam's luck finally changed? Or this time, will Dellina be the one to run?
My Review:
I absolutely LOVE the background story to this book with their one-night stand five months before. The idea of Sam freaking out about the wedding dresses and then dodging Dellina ever since is just a great start to this romance. It's such a guy thing to do and it just makes me giggle every time I think about it especially since all the women in town know about it and view it the same way. And this is also why I love Dellina. She's a tough, independent character who simply lets things roll off her back. A lot of women would let that kind of thing offend them or hurt their feelings, but she simply sees the humor in it and plans to give Sam as hard of time as she can about the situation. 

And the rest of the book continues to stay just as fun and entertaining. Sam finally has to approach Dellina because he needs her help. As the only party planner in Fool's Gold, he needs her to help him plan a weekend retreat for his PR company's wealthy clientele. The entire book is set up around this weekend event and the four weeks leading up to it. And although their relationship starts with a one-night stand, I liked the fact that during that planning month of time, Sam and Dellina form a true friendship that eventually leads to more. Neither one think they are looking for a relationship so they can relax into their friendship and although they both know they have sizzling chemistry, they know they shouldn't do anything about it while they are working together. Shouldn't being the word that you should note here...hehe.

I do love this series and this book proved to be just as good as all the rest of the books have been. I love this little town of Fools Gold and love getting to see the many characters we've fallen in love with over the years. This particular edition though had some really intriguing scenes from New Zealand and Mayor Marsha. I will admit that story literally stole this book for me...I wanted more of this story line NOW. Not that the main story line wasn't good, because it absolutely was. It was just that one was so intriguing and is setting up to be a story that I know I'm going to LOVE. (Note...who was the 50 yo hottie???) There was also another side story with Dellina's sister trying to get her boyfriend to ask her to marry her that I also really loved. I especially loved it when Sam would give her advice about honesty and how that played into his and Dellina's situation also. 

I love these football players and the company they've developed with Sport. They are an amazing addition to the town and I'm really looking forward to both Sam and Kenny's stories. We've seen glimpses of what may be to come for them and I think they are going to be just as good as all the rest. One thing I can count on with this series is that the books will be plain entertaining with characters I will love. Every single one has left me with a happy feeling after having read it and this series will always be up there at the top of my list for favorite contemporary small town reads. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: