Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Turned by Virna DePaul


Title: Turned
Author: Virna DePaul
My Rating: B-

Genre: Paranormal Romance 
Series: Belladonna Agency #1
Main Characters: Ty and Ana
Release Date: April 2014
Publisher: Bantam
Links to Purchase
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: hot




Story Overview:
Perfect for fans of J. R. Ward, Nalini Singh, and Lara Adrian, bestselling author Virna DePaul’s new series of paranormal romances introduces readers to a thrilling world where vampires secretly co-exist with humans, seduction rules the night, and the stakes are nothing less than life and undeath.

Welcome to a mesmerizing world where vampires hide among humans. This centuries-old species has its own rules, code of conduct, and taboos. Only the FBI knows that vampires exist—and although the Bureau agrees to keep their secret, it also plots to give humans the upper hand.

Turning mortals into vampires is forbidden.

But there are creatures who refuse to play by the rules.


Ever since he was turned, FBI special agent Ty Duncan has had one mission: bring rogue vampires to justice. As a recruiter for Belladonna, a shadow agency formed to keep vampires in check, Ty must tap Ana Martin, a troubled ex–gang member and one of the few mortals who can infiltrate places that his kind and the law cannot. From their first encounter, Ty fights a hunger to make Ana his own.

When Ty claims to have information about Ana’s missing sister, Ana has no choice but to trust this captivating stranger who awakens her deepest desires. But as she and Ty climb the heights of pleasure and passion, an enemy is conspiring to destroy them both.

Can Ana help Ty find his humanity in a love that could heal them both, or will their passion lead them into a darkness impossible to escape?

My Review:
Where to go with this review? This is a tough book for me to review. There were moments when I absolutely loved reading it and then there were moments when I wasn't sure I was going to even be able to finish it. I will tell you, it took me 4 days to read and I read on it every single one of those days. For a girl that reads a book/day, that isn't so great. But to sit down and say why that was...I have no clue. The premise is good. I liked every single character that was introduced. I liked Ana and I LOVED Ty. Ty and Ana together just didn't quite do it for me, but I couldn't even pinpoint to you as to why. 

Ana is a former gangbanger who has worked to reform her life after prison. Ty is an FBI agent who's trying to figure out what his life is, after becoming a vampire. They are both at a crossroads and come together through Belladonna...a new government secret agency. 

The details about how Belladonna works were pretty convoluted. There's a lot of things about this new agency that are still mysteries and I think will play out throughout the rest of the books to come in the series. Four women have been brought into the organization because of their ties to one night of gang violence 7 years ago. Although they have that one thing in common, they are all VERY different and are being trained by Ty and another vampire FBI agent to do very different jobs. Picture Charlie's Angels with 2 sexy male vampires as Bosley. For me, that's the part of the story that works best. I like the premise of what the author is doing with Belladonna, especially as a girl who grew up playing Charlie's Angels every second I could. I love the idea and can't wait for more in the series. 

This particular book didn't quite do it for me. There's a lot to set up in this vampire/gang world and Belladonna and I think the story paid for all that set-up. But the overall writing was fantastic and the scenes that worked in this book, worked incredibly well. I think the series will improve now that it's all laid out and I do look forward to more from it. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: