Thursday, April 17, 2014

Trouble & the Wildflower by Kade Boehme

Title: Trouble & the Wildflower
Author: Kade Boehme
My Rating: A- 

Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m)
Series: -
Main CharactersDavy and Gavin
Release Date: February 2014
Publisher: Dreamspinner
Links to Purchase
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: hot



Story Overview:
Raised in near seclusion by an agoraphobic mother, Davy Cooper’s social skills are almost nonexistent. Now that his mother has died, he needs to make friends for the first time in his life. He catches Gavin Walker’s eye, but the sexy, confident, bad boy hipster intimidates shy Davy so much that he throws away Gavin’s number every time he offers it. 

When Gavin defends Davy from a rude guy, Davy begins to warm to him. However, with his limited experience, he thinks he and Gavin are too different, and anything more than a casual acquaintance will end in complete disaster.

My Review:
A- rating

This was one of those books that when I read the last line, I had a smile on my face. I like books like that, but I will admit that there were some unexpected aspects to this story (and I LOVE that!)

Reading the story description, I went into this book thinking that Davy would be the more fragile, weaker, scarred character and that appeared to be true at first. But Gavin's outgoing, self-confident facade is hiding someone very different underneath. There was most definitely a character arc that changed who both of these characters are throughout the book and it was fascinating to follow their story as that evolved.

Davy is extremely socially awkward. As a result, Gavin's heavy-handed flirting and hitting on him makes him EXTREMELY uncomfortable. He's attracted to Gavin, but no way could he ever go out with someone like that. He'd never be able to keep up. In the beginning of the book, my heart ached for Davy. He wants to do all those things, but he's so painfully shy, he doesn't. The scene of him at the nightclub hurt to read.

But I love that Gavin didn't give up. He's playful and outgoing and a complete flirt and he just keeps pushing at Davy, until eventually Davy agrees to be at least friends. Through that friendship, they really begin to learn about the guys underneath and not just the Trouble & Wildflower personas that the rest of the world sees. It's a great book about how easy it is to judge someone else without knowing what's really going on with them. For Gavin, this is especially true. He's hiding a world of hurt under that laissez-faire attitude. I really liked that aspect to the story line although again...my heart just broke for him and the situation from his past with Max. Although, thank goodness for fate because he wouldn't have ever met Davy if that hadn't happened. 

And then there's Oliver. I was so surprised by that aspect of the story line so late in the book, but it absolutely made me fall in love with this book even more. And it really did make the ending on this one so perfect. That last line...like I said, it left me with a smile and for me, that's the sign of a good book. 

I need to read more by this author!

No comments: