Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Talk Dirty to Me by Dakota Cassidy

Title: Talk Dirty to Me 
Author: Dakota Cassidy
My Rating: A++


Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: Plum Orchard #1
Main Characters: Dixie and Caine
Release Date: April 2014
Publisher: Harlequin Mira
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot





Story Overview:

Notorious mean girl Dixie Davis is back in town and it's payback time. Literally. Dixie is flat broke and her best�make that only�friend, Landon, is throwing her a lifeline from the Great Beyond. Dixie stands to inherit his business…if she meets a few conditions: 
She's got to live in Landon's mansion. 
With her gorgeous ex-fiancé, Caine Donovan. 
Who could also inherit the business. 
Which is a phone sex empire. 
Wait, what? 
Landon's will lays it out: whoever gets the most new clients becomes the owner of Call Girls. Dixie has always been in it to win it, especially when it comes to Caine, who's made it clear he's not going down easy. (Oh, mercy.) Can Dixie really talk dirty and prove that she's cleaned up her act? Game on!
Plum Orchard, Georgia, is about to get even juicier…

My Review:

This book...wow, this book. I started it tearing up and ended it bawling. The absolute best, most emotionally moving character in the book was Landon, both Dixie and Caine's best friend, who dies of pancreatic cancer at age 28 before the book even begins. He's the one that starts this journey for his two best friends who need to heal the rift they had 10 years prior. 

I loved Landon and what he did and how he knew his best friends. His presence is constant throughout the book and every time he showed up on the page, it broke my heart for the loss of him. And that's just the beginning of the emotional roller-coaster that is this book. 

The other huge emotional touchpoint is Dixie. I LOVED her character. She's so tough on the outside. That's all she lets anyone see, but she is truly so vulnerable and needy and wanting of someone to love her. My heart ached for her throughout the entire book. I just wanted Quinn to see her for what she truly is. That and I was dying to know the full story of what happened in Chicago and when I finally did know, I started crying all over again. 

Seriously, everything about this story was so good and so emotional. 

Then there is the whole phone sex business and the girls, and Em, and Walker, and Sanjeet (sp??), and even Quinn's mom...every single character added so much depth and emotion to the story and the back story between Quinn and Dixie.

It will be interesting how this whole series plays out because after this book, I hate this little town with their close-minded views and how they judge and condemn. The Mags and that group of women are horrid, caustic creatures that made me so angry. I'm hoping eventually they see the error of following the few witches that have led them over the years. 

Then there are Quinn and Dixie and what they truly mean to each other. Their chemistry is amazing which makes it so sad because there is so much standing between them. They both had their hearts completely shattered ten years ago and it's so hard for either of them to recover from that. But both of them also realize that they've never found another love like that since. But at the center of their relationship is also this incredible competitiveness that drives them. Landon knew that and decides to use it against them to help them move past their hurt. Like I said before, I absolutely adored Landon for how he saw and knew and loved both Dixie and Quinn. He only wants them to be happy after his death. My heart mourned him so much in this book. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book for honest review, but upon finishing the book, immediately bought a print copy for my favorites shelf. 

1 comment:

Felicia S said...

This one made me cry but it was such good tears :)