Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Rebecca's Lost Journals by Lisa Renee Jones


Title: Rebecca's Lost Journal
Author: Lisa Renee Jones
My Rating: B+

Genre: Erotic Romance 
Series: Inside Out #1.1-1.4 and #2.5
Main Characters: Rebecca and Master
Release Date: April 2014
Publisher: Gallery Books
Links to Purchase
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: erotic




Story Overview:
Includes Rebecca’s Lost Journals #1-4 
(The Seduction, The Contract, His Submissive, My Master)
and The Master Undone


In this stand alone collection connected to the Best Selling Inside Out Series, you meet Rebecca Mason, the intriguing woman who penned an erotic journal that changed everyone’s life it touched. This is her story, in her words.....



Rebecca’s Lost Journals.....

Rebecca Mason has known heartache and sorrow in her life, losing everyone she loves. She’s on her own in San Francisco, lost in every way, until she dares to make the decision to chase her dream of working in the art world. It is then that he meets a rich, seductively powerful man who will become the Master she never knew she wanted and change her life forever. He will lead her on a dark, passionate journey where pain is pleasure and pleasure is pain, and where every limit she once had is no more. In this man, she will find solace to her pain, an escape from the ache inside her. And in him, she will discover a darkness she may never escape.

Bonus Story included:

Master Undone in his POV... 

I told him goodbye, and I will not call him. I know if I do, it will be my undoing, and I'll once again be caught up in his spell. I will once again be . . . lost.

In her private journals, Rebecca laid bare her soul, revealing her obsession for the one man whose erotic demands captivated her imagination--and enslaved her forever. Now, with Rebecca no longer in his life "he" is lost, questioning everything he thought he knew about himself and about control he holds in such high regard. One women will reach out to heal him and then turn away, leaving him haunted. She is nothing he thought he wanted and somehow everything he needs. He tells himself to forget her but he cannot escape his desire for her. He has to have more...
My Review:
Okay, I read this series totally backwards. I received this book from the publisher for review, but haven't read any of the actual novels from the series (although I had a couple of them in my tbr). This book is a grouping of novellas which are actually Rebecca's journals from the Inside Out series. BUT Rebecca is not actually in that series. The full-length books are about Sara who's read Rebecca's journals and is trying to figure out what happened to her. I had no idea about any of this when I started reading the journals. Like I said, I went into this series totally backward...but it worked...and I then devoured ALL the books in the series within two days. ;o)

So I read these books not knowing that "something" has happened to Rebecca. That was the biggest shocker for me, I think...is that in the books, Rebecca is gone and no one knows where. But I'm definitely not sad about the order I read the series. Because I read the journals first, I hung on every word about Rebecca and her journals in the books. Normally when I read a book that has a side-story like that, I get annoyed because I want to concentrate on the main couple. But for me, Rebecca's story was just as important as Chris and Sara's (the couple featured in the books) because I read the journals first. 

Overall, I enjoyed the journals. My one big complaint about them is that instead of Rebecca and Master/Mark, the characters should have just been renamed Christian and Ana...because yeah, the journals totally document "that" story...which as an author bothers me a bit. But as an author, I can also see that the journals were never the point...and honestly the overall story for the series is brilliant...the mystery of what happened to Rebecca and how her disappearance affected those around her. So I can overlook that the premise of the journal story is just a little too much like another story we all know. 

And the journals are interesting purely in the fact that they are simply that...snippets of someone's thoughts as she's living this fantastical scenario. The complete story is most definitely not all there, so it leaves you curious and wondering. Overall, I highly recommend you read the journals along with the entire series. It makes Rebecca feel more like a real character in the story by getting this in-depth into her psyche and where she was at with this whole Master/Dom/sub scenario that she found herself involved in.

Note: there is another novella in the book called Master Undone at the back of the book. There's a huge warning not to read it unless you've read the books which I totally disregarded because I needed to read something from Mark's POV after the journals just to see what he's truly like. DO NOT DO WHAT I DID. Read the books in order. I can deal with spoilers, but wow...I think I would have been able to enjoy that story more if I knew everything that had been going on before that. Because I didn't read them in the right order, I was still too close to Rebecca's story to deal with what Mark does in that novella. I was definitely in the wrong mindset for it.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: