Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Nailed by Christine D'Abo


Title: Nailed
Author: Christine D'Abo
My Rating: B-

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Cosmo Red Hot Reads
Main Characters: Sophia and Fynn
Release Date: April 2014
Publisher: Cosmo Red Hot Reads from Harlequin
Links to Purchase
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
Warning: This show contains scenes of sexual tension.

Hosting a new TV show is a fantasy-turned-reality for diva decorator Sophia Holbrook. But concentrating on color swatches is hard when all she can think of is her studly cohost, contractor Fynn Babineau. These two may clash over blueprints and budgets on-screen, but with the lust palpable between them, rumor has it they have been putting more than just their heads together behind the scenes.... What secrets will the cameras expose? Tune in tonight to find out.
Viewer discretion advised. Mature audiences only.
My Review:
The premise of this book was really cute just because I could see it actually happening, having watched a few of these shows. This is a short read and I felt like it had some faults because of that. 

The beginning half really felt descriptive heavy especially when it came to the shelter...way more than was needed for this length of book. I would much rather there have been more chemistry between the hero and heroine...especially in that first half. That chemistry and their tension was described a lot of the time, but a lot of those early scenes between them happened off the page and the reader was just told that things felt stilted or tense between the two. I felt cheated out of the build-up of their relationship because of that. 

But in the second half, they shone. Although I will admit that there were bits from the director or from someone else on the set where their descriptions of what they were observing between Fynn and Sophia didn't match what was truly happening between them. If that was supposedly because they were hiding their relationship, then that didn't quite make it into the book explaining that disconnect. Honestly if this had been a book entirely focused on Fynn and Sophia, I would have been happy because I did enjoy the scenes where they connected...even though a lot of the time that was simply sexual chemistry combusting all over the page. I have no issue with that. ;)

There was a lot happening in this story...the reconstruction of the shelter, the making of a TV show, Sophia dealing with her past, Carl's mechanisms, Sophia trying to work out her partnership with Theresa, and then finally the relationship which was contentious a lot of the time between Fynn and Sophia and them trying to play nice in front of the camera. For this length of book, it just seemed like too much and the true chemistry aspect of the story lost out...and most of those other parts, I didn't care about because they were minor...just kind of there. 

This is only my second read of one of the Red Hot Reads and I'm thinking honestly that this may just not be a format for me, which is perfectly fine. I don't regret reading this one at all. It just didn't quite lived up to what I hoped it would be. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review. 

No comments: