Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Accepting the Alpha by JJ Black

Title: Accepting the Alpha
Author: JJ Black
My Rating: B

Genre: Paranormal Romance (m/m)
Series: Great Lakes Wolves #1
Main Characters: Eli and Kellan
Release Date: February 2014
Publisher: Totally Bound
Links to Purchase
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: hot



Story Overview:
Can an Alpha wolf convince his straight mate to give love a chance, before an unexpected enemy tries to rob them of all they hold dear…even their own lives?

Eli Steele is a wolf without a pack. An invitation from his best friend, brings him to Grand Rapids, and a meeting with the local Alpha changes Eli’s life in ways he ever expected.

Kellan Reeves, Alpha of the Grand Rapids Pack, had lost hope of ever finding his mate until Eli came to him, looking for a pack. Realising Eli is his mate, he feels things couldn’t be more perfect…discounting the angry pack Eli left behind. There’s also the insignificant fact that Eli’s not gay. It’s nothing an Alpha wolf can’t handle. 

While Eli struggles to understand his feelings for Kellan, an unexpected call for help has everyone on edge. As enemies move in and a horrifying plot is revealed, Kellan and Eli fight back, not only for themselves, but for the fate of all shifters.

My Review:
Wow, I should not have gone and looked at the reviews for this book before writing mine. The reviews are all over the place and some of them are really brutal. O.O I actually thought this book was pretty good and definitely enjoyed reading it. But I do have an admitted weakness for shifter stories. 

This book is about Eli, who's searching for a home in a new pack... after his best friend, Jai, was driven out of their old pack, the one belonging to Eli's family, for being gay. When Jai takes Eli to their Alpha, Kellan, for introduction, Kellan feels the immediate mating pull to Eli. The problem...Eli is straight so he takes a bit more convincing. In the midst of all that is the pack issues, specifically pack issues from Eli's home about to cause a lot of problems. 

Overall, like I said I enjoyed it. That's part of the reason I enjoy paranormal because I can suspend disbelief especially with shifters who have to deal instinctually. So things like mating turning a straight man works for me especially when that new mate is a super-tough, super-gorgeous Alpha male. I liked the two guys together. Eli is a beta, which in this world means that he's a protector, but he's also a soldier. This is no fainting Twink...no, he is almost as tough as Kellan. And they worked together in my eyes. This is an action-filled book as lots of pack politics and vengeful ex's come into play. I particularly enjoyed the scene between Eli and Ryker and the bond they forged together. I'm crossing my fingers that we'll see more of Ryker to come. 

This appeared to be a set-up for a new series and I will definitely be looking forward to more from this author. 


1 comment:

paperbackdaydreamer.com said...

Interesting...I never thought about mating in packs being between two males...whenever I think mating I think it's supposed to result in offspring. But this does sound like an interesting read and I'll be looking for your reviews of the books to come in this series. I'm glad the bad reviews for the book didn't turn you off!