Monday, February 24, 2014

The Place I Belong by Inez Kelley


Title: The Place I Belong
Author: Inez Kelley
My Rating: B+

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: Country Roads #2
Main Characters: Zury and Jonah
Release Date: February 2014
Publisher: Carina
Links to Purchase
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: hot



Story Overview:
Zury Castellano escaped a dreary city life and will do anything to protect her chosen home’s scenic vista. Black Cherry Falls is more than her job, it’s her passion. The State may have sold her beloved mountaintops to a lumber company, but they’re in for a surprise if they think she will just sit by and watch them destroy it. That cocky PR guy will never know what hit him.

Jonah Alcott walked away from his rigid religious family and found his place as Public Relations Director for Hawkins Hardwood. He plays as hard as he works, but the Black Cherry Falls project stretches him to his limit. A beautiful but tenacious resort manager calls in a radical environmental group, and Jonah steps out of his office to show her personally who the real bad guys are. However, only Jonah can decide where his true loyalties lie, with his job or his heart.

My Review:

This is definitely an unlikely love story...Zury is an environmentalist who's fighting to halt the logging of her precious Falls. Jonah is the PR guy for the lumber company who has earned and bought the right to log that area of the forest. Neither one is willing to give on their stance even as they begin to grow closer into a relationship. They have incredible chemistry and get along in every way...as long as they don't discuss the Falls and the timber project going on there. As soon as that comes into it, they begin to fight like cats and dogs. It was an interesting dynamic, although at times it felt a bit unbelievable because while they are creating this relationship, they are also working to undermine each other's jobs. And especially for Jonah, Zury could cost him his job by what she's doing. 

The problem is that Zury refuses to see that there may be some sort of middle ground. But her zealous attitude has a price that they both pay and that brought a bit of suspense into the story via an insane eco-terrorist. That was an interesting twist to the story and I look forward to see how that affects the next book, because it definitely will. 

I loved the setting of this book and the ambiance it created for the story. It makes me want to go visit the mountains of West Virginia...or any mountains would actually work. I loves the mountains and the forests...this book hit all the touchpoints about those things that I love. From the hiking to the old hickory tree to the falls to even the rainshowers...the visuals that Inez Kelley created within the story were beautiful in my minds-eye. I loved my imaginary visit to West Virginia.

One of the things that I love about reading this series is how much I'm learning about the timber industry. This is something that I honestly know nothing about, but Inez Kelley weaves in facts about forestry management into the book that I love hearing and learning. She also weaves a story incredibly well that shows both sides of the story between environmentalism and lumber/timber companies. Knowing that her husband works in this industry makes the reading of this series all the more fascinating...I know she's speaking with some knowledge behind her. I like that.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: