Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Chance by Robyn Carr


Title: The Chance
Author: Robyn Carr
My Rating: B 

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: Thunder Point #4
Main Characters: Laine and Eric
Release Date: February 2014
Publisher: Harlequin
Links to Purchase
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: spicy


Story Overview:
Share the joys, heartbreaks, challenges and triumphs of the people who inhabit the small Oregon town of Thunder Point with #1 New York Times bestselling author Robyn Carr 

With its breathtaking vistas and down-to-earth people, Thunder Point is the perfect place for FBI agent Laine Carrington to recuperate from a gunshot wound and contemplate her future. The locals embraced Laine as one of their own after she risked her life to save a young girl from a dangerous cult. Knowing her wounds go beyond the physical, Laine hopes she'll fit in for a while and find her true self in a town that feels safe. She may even learn to open her heart to others, something an undercover agent has little time to indulge. 

Eric Gentry is also new to Thunder Point. Although he's a man with a dark past, he's determined to put down roots and get to know the daughter he only recently discovered. When Laine and Eric meet, their attraction is obvious to everyone. But while the law enforcement agent and the reformed criminal want to make things work, their differences may run too deep…unless they take a chance on each other and find that deep and mysterious bond that belongs to those who choose love over fear.

My Review:
I really enjoyed the first 40% of this book because it focused solely on Laine and Eric's romance...and their's is not a typical romance since she's an FBI agent and he's an ex-con. But Eric has completely turned around his life and is such a good guy now. He came to Thunder Point to get to know his teenage daughter who he abandoned when he was a dumb teenager himself. We've gotten to know him pretty well in the other books, so a lot of the development of this story focused on Laine and her estrangement between her and her father. She's originally from the East coast and things have gotten so bad for her that she's relocated to the West coast to get away from her father. 

This entire series of books has had a different feel because it focuses on the entire town and moves between MANY points of view within the story. That's bothered me a bit throughout the series and there was about 35% in the middle of this book where that happened again. In this particular book a lot of that part of the story is even further annoying because those parts cover huge blocks of time with blanket "telling" the story (where the story is glazed over with just a recap of events instead of actually seeing them). 

But beyond that section in the middle, this book is pretty good. I enjoyed Laine and Eric's story. I liked the side story about her and her father that included the complex dynamics between twins...Laine has a twin brother who has done exactly what her father wanted him to do with his life. That entire family dynamic and story worked for me. Eric as a character didn't have much of his own story besides his romance with Laine, but there was a side story with a 17 yo, Justin, who works at his station. That story was so good....BUT...and this is huge...there was no real resolution to that story. Really?!? In fact, the entire ending for the book was rather abrupt. It's like the author hit her word count and typed "the end". 

So once again, I sit here with a Robyn Carr book that I'm not entirely happy with. I liked Laine and Eric. I loved Justin's story. I even liked Al and Ray Ann (another side romance story within the town). The stories are all really good and capture me as a reader. I do not enjoy the style of writing that the author has used to tell those stories...something about it just bugs me as I'm reading...the story telling just feels a bit schizophrenic. I've said over and over again that I am not going to read this series anymore because it drives me nuts, but the stories are so compelling...they stick with me. And that's huge for me because as a reader who reads 400 books/year, that doesn't happen very often. And honestly, if the stories continue to fascinate me, I'll probably continue to slog through the writing style to get to them.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.


No comments: