Monday, February 24, 2014

Love Like the Movies by Victoria Van Tiem

Title: Love Like the Movies
Author: Victoria Van Tiem
My Rating: A+ 

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: -
Main Characters: Kensington and Shane
Release Date: February 2014
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Links to Purchase
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: spicy



Story Overview:
In this irresistible romantic romp, movie fanatic Kensington Shaw is thrown into love—Hollywood-style—when her gorgeous ex presents a series of big screen challenges to win back her heart.

What girl wouldn’t want to experience the Pretty Woman shopping scene? It’s number two on the list. Or, try the lift from Dirty Dancing? It’s number five. One list, ten romantic movie moments, and a handful of shenanigans later, Kenzi has to wonder . . . should she marry the man her family loves, or risk everything for a love like the movies?



Story Overview:
I'm a sucker for a romantic comedy movie, but have to be in just the right mood to enjoy that style of book. A lot of times to me, they feel silly when reading them. I don't know if this book was just that much better than all the rest or if I was just in the perfect mood, but I LOVED THIS BOOK.

If you are a fan of romantic comedy movies, you need to read this book. The book makes reference to a TON of rom coms and I've seen every single one of them so this touched all my hot buttons. It's rare that I get all the social references in things, but I knew these movies and the scenes that they referred to. I can't imagine reading this book without that. While I think you would still enjoy it, it would lose so much of the fun. 

But at the heart of this book is Kensington. The book is told entirely from her point of view. Her entire life, Kensington has been somewhat overlooked. Her family has the perfect son and his wife. She's girlfriend to a guy she works with and he normally gets all the work accolades. This has always been the case but finally it is going to be her time to shine...to be the focus...because Bradley just asked her to marry him and now they have a wedding to plan. But things are quickly derailed when her sister in law announces her pregnancy on the same night Kensi announces their engagement. She lost her moment and from that moment on, Kensington's life spins out of control...topped off by the return of her college sweetheart, Shane, who broke her heart. 

When Shane broke her heart, something changed about Kensington. She lost her rose-colored view of the world she'd always envisioned through her rom com obsession. This is her journey to finding that girl again...to finding her passion for life and herself again. The book is full of ups and downs...a whole lot of downs like any good romantic comedy because the heroine has to have trials to realize the good stuff, right? And I will admit there were a few moments where the heroine became just a tad too self-obsessed. But overall, it's a beautiful journey punctuated by sweet, heartfelt, tear-inducing moments that simply melted my heart. Shane knows her and although I never felt like the reader got to really connect with him, his connection to Kensington's heart is pure on the page and made me love him. 

By the time the book ended, I was both laughing and crying. That ending was absolute perfection and my husband was looking at me like I was nuts for my reactions while reading it. I've gotten where I don't accept books for review when I don't know something about the author's style of writing. I took a risk with this book and I am so glad that I did. It was an amazing book. Now, I want it in print...I hope it's eventually released that way!

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: