Thursday, February 6, 2014

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel by Liliana Hart



Title: Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
Author: Liliana Hart
My Rating: A 

Genre: Romantic Suspense 
Series: J.J. Graves Mystery #3
Main CharactersJ.J. Graves
Release Date: November 2013
Publisher: -
Links to Purchase
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
Can ghosts really talk?

J.J. Graves is about to find out when her past comes back to haunt her. Too bad her life was just beginning to seem normal.

J.J. and Jack set off together on a mission to uncover the secrets of J.J.'s felonious parents. The only thing standing in their way is a corpse hidden in her parents' bunker, a cop with a bad attitude, an FBI agent with a grudge, and a woman from Jack's past who knows more than she should.

My Review:
Wow! I've been listening to this series on audiobook, but when book #2 ended in a cliffhanger, I had to grab this one to read on the kindle since I couldn't stand to wait for the audiobook to be released. That cliffhanger from #2....did not see that coming and everything about Jack and JJ's pasts kept my stomach in knots the first 50% of this book. So good!!

But because so much of this book was built around their pasts rather than a murder mystery based in the small town of Bloody Mary, I felt like this book had a slightly edgier feel to it. With the involvement of the FBI, everything felt bigger and with Jack in the target, it definitely felt more suspenseful...and I liked that! There were points in this book where I wasn't sure if Jack and JJ were going to make it through, but that's a gift that Liliana Hart has....her characters have a real feel to them. They aren't perfect. They make mistakes and misjudgments because they're human (well in a fictional character sort of way). Jack definitely had a few missteps in this one, but for me, it just made me love JJ more. Seriously, this girl NEEDS Jack. She is so hard on herself and what she has to offer someone else. My heart hurts for her, but Jack...gah...Jack loves her so much and sees her, flaws and all. And usually just loves her all the harder for it. You can't help but fall in love with that man!!!

Most series like this, especially with the ongoing romance, I would say that you need to read the books in order. Although I think you will get more out of each book if you do it that way, I also think it's perfectly fine to read these as stand-alones. Each story is strong enough on its own without needing the entire series. That's a skill from the author to be able to write these books independently like that without reviewing all the info every time. She weaves that info into the story brilliantly.

I highly recommend this series. They are promoted as mystery, but with the high quotient of romance in the stories too, I'd reclassify them as romantic suspense...and it's good RS.

1 comment:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

YEAH! I actually have this on audio. I swear my audio TBR is getting as big as my other TBR :)