Tuesday, January 21, 2014

When the Rogue Returns by Sabrina Jeffries


Title: When the Rogue Returns
Author: Sabrina Jeffries
My Rating: B

Genre: Historical Romance
Series: The Duke's Men #2
Main Characters: Isa and Victor
Release Date: January 2014
Publisher: Pocket
Links to Purchase
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Victor Cale never imagined that his sweet, shy bride, Isabella, would use her talents for creating exquisite imitation jewels criminally. But there's no denying that her handiwork was used in the theft of the Dutch royal diamonds-- right after Isa disappeared into the night.

Ten years later, Victor is sent to Edinburgh to investigate a wealthy baron's mysterious bride-to-be... who turns out to be Isa, masquerading as an alluring widow. No longer the meek girl he once knew, Isa boldly asserts that it was Victor who abandoned her, after he helped steal the royal diamonds!

Piecing together the truth of the past reawakens their volatile passions, which burns hotter than ever. But with a decade of secrets between them, Victor and Isa must trust each other to bring the real thieves to justice-- without getting burned themselves.

My Review:
I'm the first to admit that I'm not normally a fan of historical romance, but every once in a while I find one that piques my interest. This was one of those books. Once I started reading it, I had a hard time putting it down. One of my favorite things about historicals is learning new things. In this book, those new things revolved around the art of making paste jewels...the first fakes. I found this aspect of the story totally fascinating. I had no idea that fake jewels could be made well enough to be switched with real ones before the time of manufacturing. 

The heroine in this book, Isa, is a jeweler who specializes in creating fakes. But that's her downfall, too, because she trusts her family and they take advantage of both her skills and her naivety.  Ten years later, Isa is literally a different person. When she ran from her family, she created a new identity for herself with her new daughter. One that included the fact that her husband died as a soldier. 

When said husband finally finds Isa, he's out for revenge...and answers. They were both utterly betrayed by her family and neither ever knew the other wasn't in on the betrayal. They were newly married and didn't know enough about each other to build that trust. Her family knows how to take advantage of that weakness in their relationship. Unfortunately, it's hard to get past ten years of hurt and betrayal, so it takes a while for either of these people to truly trust the other. 

One of the reasons that I tend to have issues with historicals is the culpability of the heroines to believe anything. This book definitely started out that way, but I loved the changes that occurred in Isa over the ten years she's on her own...and comes into her own. She's a really strong heroine although there were a few moments toward the end where I once again wanted to knock her upside her head. But I had those moments at the end with her husband, Victor, too. At that point in the book, it felt a little late for the SAME doubts to be creeping up AGAIN. That side of the story line just went on a little bit too long for me.

But otherwise the book was very good. There was lots of action, some fun smexy times, an interesting story line and some great history. If you're looking for a new historical to pick up, I definitely recommend this one.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

1 comment:

Felicia S said...

Great review! I just finished this today and loved it (a tad bit more than you) :)