Saturday, January 25, 2014

No Ifs, Ands, or Bears About It by Celia Kyle


Title: No Ifs, And, or Bears About It
Author: Celia Kyle
My Rating: B

Genre: Paranormal Romance 
Series: Grayslake #1
Main Characters: Mia and Ty
Release Date: January 2014
Publisher: Summerhouse Publishing
Links to Purchase
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
The first day of Mia’s new life in Grayslake, Georgia is not going as planned. The house her grandfather left her looks ready to crumble, boxes cover every inch of the floor and—oh—there’s a bear cub in her pantry. It gets worse when the cub’s uncle comes by and busts out his fur and claws while on her front porch. Then it gets loads better because suddenly there’s a hot hunk of badge-wearing werebear on her lawn ready to rescue her. Yum. Of course, he has to ruin things by trying to take the cub out of her hands. Ha! The cub is hers… No ifs, ands, or bears about it. 


Werebear Ty can’t seem to get the curvaceous, delectable Mia to understand that, even if she is one-quarter werebear, she isn’t keeping the cub. Ty is the Grayslake Itan, the clan’s leader, and the little werebear is going home with him… Unless it isn’t. It’s her smile. If she’d stop smiling and being gorgeous, his inner-bear would support him and Ty would get his way. But the beast wants to make their woman happy, so it’s perfectly content to let her do as she pleases. Then things change. Threats arise, danger comes close, and Ty demands she return to his den. No ifs, ands, or mates about that. 

My Review:
I'll admit...I just flat-out don't accept books for review anymore where I don't already know the author's style. I like to read books that I'll enjoy so I tend not to take risks with what I pick up...I accept books from authors I've read and enjoyed and that's it. This book was the exception. Bear shifters...I'll admit, I was intrigued. I was intrigued enough to accept it for review although I'm not familiar with either the author or the publisher. I'm tell you all... I never do that anymore. But I'm so glad that I took the risk. It was good.

So, yeah...bear shifters. Why isn't this shifter genre done more? I liked it. In this story, Mia is part bear shifter, but she can't shift...her gene is too recessive. But she moves into her grandfather's house that he left her which is deep into the bear territory/den area. Her first day there, she finds a terrified werecub in her pantry and her mama bear instincts kick in. He's hiding from his uncle who's been abusing him. Coming to her aid is the sheriff who just also happens to be the bear leader, Ty. He takes both Mia and the cub under his wing....which leads to all kinds of were political issues especially since his bear is clamoring to make Mia his....even though she can't shift. Not exactly a good prospect for the leader to mate with. 

Mia is admittedly out of her realm in the bear den, but that doesn't mean she backs down. I love how tough she is even when she's terrified. That doesn't matter when someone she loves is threatened...she will protect them to the very end. That applies to both the cub and the Itan (what the bears call their leader.)

Ty is the Itan so he's shuffling a lot of balls at once within his bears as well as the other were packs around. There are also other bear clans clamoring for his attention especially with the troubles surrounding the cub and they aren't all quite as progressive as Ty's clan is. He's also dealing with his own bear who wants to claim Mia with everything he is. That's surprising to Ty has he's never believed in the whole "true mates" lore. But through it all, Ty maintains his status as a great leader, handling everything, especially Mia, extremely well. 

This book is setting up a new series and I am so excited about that prospect. Ty has three brothers who each are great characters. There's Van, the enforcer; Isaac, the scarred doctor; and Keen, the young techno geek pulling the clan into the 21st century. (I may have gotten Keen and Van switched...I don't remember and I suck at names.) I definitely plan to follow all their stories because I'm sold on bear shifters as great hero material!

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review. 

No comments: