Friday, January 17, 2014

Love a Little Sideways by Shannon Stacey

Title: Love a Little Sideways
Author: Shannon Stacey
My Rating: B+ 

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: Kowalski's #7
Main Characters: Liz and Drew
Release DateNovember 2013
Publisher: Carina Press
Links to Purchase
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: hot



Story Overview:
Liz Kowalski is heading home to Whitford, Maine—this time for good. Eager for her family, a fresh start and some fun, she doesn't count on being rescued by the chief of police her very first night back in town. Drew is everything she's not looking for…so why is she still so attracted to him? 

After a brief, forbidden rendezvous at her brother's wedding, Drew Miller expects Liz to return to New Mexico and stay there. He's searching for someone to settle down with, not a casual fling with his best friend's sister. But when they're stuck together on the annual Kowalski camping trip, things start going a little sideways. Keeping their hands off each other proves just as impossible as keeping their secret from becoming public knowledge. 

Amid family, mud and melted marshmallow, Liz and Drew try to fight what's growing between them. But a little time alone, a lot of chemistry and too many opinions might be just what it takes to bring together two people so determined not to fall in love.


My Review:
The Kowalski's are going camping again. That first Kowalski book is my absolute favorite so I loved that this one was doing the same thing. Family camping trips with multiple units of the family attending is something I can definitely relate to. But that was also the downfall of this book...there were just a few too many moments that felt like they'd been scalped out of the other books. Not that it was a bad book...look at my rating....it definitely wasn't. There were just a few too many scenes that came out of the other books (pool scenes with kid battles of doom, four-wheeling, dirty scrabble) for my liking and that's why this one doesn't rank up there as an A rated/5 star book.

This book is about Drew and Liz. Honestly, I loved their story...until they went camping...the part I was most looking forward to before I started reading. But I did really like the backstory and the way that the romance between the two of them unfolded. Drew is the town sheriff and best friend to Mitch, Liz's brother. They had an intense moment eight months ago when neither one of them was in a place where they could form a relationship. But now Liz is moving back home and Drew has to come pull her out of a ditch as she pulls into town. Immediately they are thrown together and that happens more and more as time goes by. 

They try to stay apart because they want different things with where they are at in their lives, but this is a small town and their families are completely intertwined....and they are the only single people left in the bunch. There's no fighting it. Overall, I loved the book. I stayed up WAY too late finishing it because I couldn't stand to put it down. I just wish the camping section had been done a little bit differently. While all those scenes were fun...I've read them before. 

But overall, I would recommend this book whether you've read all the Kowalski books or not. It's highly entertaining fun.

No comments: