Thursday, January 23, 2014

Hot Pursuit by Jo Davis

Title: Hot Pursuit
Author: Jo Davis
My Rating: B-

Genre: Romantic Suspense 
Series: Sugarland Blue #2
Main Characters: Taylor and Cara
Release Date: December 2013
Publisher: Signet
Links to Purchase
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
In Sugarland, Detective Taylor Kayne is always ready with quick wit and a quicker smile. But he’s about to meet a woman who will make him want to take his sweet time.... 

Taylor is a laid-back, smart-aleck kind of lawman. He’s also a man’s man, as well as every woman’s private fantasy. But years ago, he was part of a botched hostage situation that ended with him being hailed as a tough-as-nails hero—even though the pain, fear, and shame from that terrible day still haunt his every moment.

Cara Evans couldn’t care less about Taylor’s pain. In the moment he became a so-called hero, she lost someone she dearly loved. Yet neither of them is prepared for the instant, undeniable attraction that flares between them—or the danger that’s soon hot on their heels.

My Review:
I'll admit, this is a tough book to review...just because I don't think I was in the best frame of mind when I read it. Nothing was wrong with the book...this one just didn't strike the same emotional chords for me that Jo Davis books normally do. And sitting back and thinking back over the book, I couldn't even tell you why because there's absolutely nothing wrong with the book. Sometimes, as a reader, you just don't connect. I have a feeling if I re-read it again in a few months, I will have a very different feeling about it. 

The things I did like about the book:
*it worked for me that Taylor still has nightmares about this event. His PTSD over it made him a character that pulled at my emotions right off the bat.
*I loved Taylor and Shane together. They are great partners and it was nice to see Shane again (he's the hero of book #1.)
*I was REALLY intrigued by Chris in this book and his mystery illness. I'll admit to that being one of my favorite parts of the story and it was so minor, but definitely (at least I hope so) a hint of things to come in the series. 
*I enjoyed the music aspect and that Cara is in a band. Jinx was an interesting character and I could deal with learning more about him....hint: maybe an off-shoot series set in the music business would be fab!

While this book wasn't necessarily the book for me, I definitely plan to continue reading the series.

No comments: