Monday, January 13, 2014

Dirty Deeds by SE Jakes


Title: Dirty Deeds
Author: SE Jakes
My Rating: A+

Genre: Romantic Suspense (m/m)
Series: Dirty Deeds #1
Main Characters: Cillian and Mal
Release Date: January 2014
Publisher: Riptide Publishing
Links to Purchase
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: erotic



Story Overview:

Two seasoned operatives finally meet their match: each other.
Cillian works for the mysterious Special Branch 20: an organization that runs black ops commissioned by the British government. His specialty is deep undercover assignments with virtually no support. He’s been alone for so long that he no longer knows anything else.
Mal’s also used to being alone. Wanted in several states and even more countries, he’s not allowed in the vicinity of any of his former Navy SEAL teammates. And his current assignment is to track Cillian in order to discover the spook’s endgame. Except he’s no longer sure which one of them is getting played.
Cillian isn’t about to let the mission that’s consumed him for the past several years crumble because an outsider is poking around where he doesn’t belong. But Mal forces his way through Cillian’s defenses—and into his heart—exposing a devastating betrayal that could destroy them both.

My Review:
This book...whoa, this book. First, it's a novella so it won't take you long to read. It's the first in this series but it pulls heavily from the Hell or High Water series. While you certainly don't have to read those books first, I highly recommend it just so you can truly understand all the nuances of what all is happening in this one. 

This is an interesting story because throughout the book, the two main characters spend very little time actually together. Most of the relationship is conducted through the computer where one of the characters doesn't have any idea what is actually going on. It's flirty, it's fun, it's super-sexy and hot. I even laughed out loud several times throughout the story. Overall I probably would have given the book a B+, but then the end happened...

OMG!

And this book went from, "Hey, this is a fun read..." to "OMG, wtf just happened and how did I not see that coming?"

I've read a lot of cliffhangers and a lot of shocker story lines, but I don't think I've in my life read one as well done as this one. 

SE Jakes, you are a sadistic wench. 

She now has the top spot for authors I love to hate because of the twists and turns she weaves. Whoa. So freaking good. So good that I will have you know that I've reread the end of this book at least ten times today. Ten times!?!

The twist took me completely by surprise, took my breath away, and twisted my heart. What happens now? Seriously, what happens next? I NEED the next book like yesterday. SE Jakes, I hate you and how amazingly you  can twist me up into knots. Someday I want to be able to write just like you. And if not, can I just come sit in your home and watch you plot? ;o) That's not creepy, is it?

Seriously, so good.... And I just want to crawl into the page and hug Mal....and hug Cillian. They're both gonna need it after this.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: